Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pattern ideas wanted

How about a Sampler Quilt? Then you can try out a different pattern for each square. Get a book of Depression quilts or the history book from your state or hers and see what was popular then. And to think you are holding the same pieces of material your grandmother did,you have much in common.

Carol J.

I think I'm going with Grandmother Fan since the fabrics seem to "fit" this pattern. It was suggested I paper piece and not having ever done that I watched a video on youtube. It seems using this method makes a huge difference in the way the block turns out. The person making the video said she used plain copy paper so is this what I should use? Found a pattern online but it's in 2 pieces so do I turn it into one piece and go from there? I'm really excited about learning how to do this!

Not sure what you mean by 2 pieces? As far as what kind of paper, copy paper will work fine as long as you keep your stitch really short so it will like "perforate" the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by KimS
    I think I'm going with Grandmother Fan since the fabrics seem to "fit" this pattern. It was suggested I paper piece and not having ever done that I watched a video on youtube. It seems using this method makes a huge difference in the way the block turns out. The person making the video said she used plain copy paper so is this what I should use? Found a pattern online but it's in 2 pieces so do I turn it into one piece and go from there? I'm really excited about learning how to do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol J.
    How about a Sampler Quilt? Then you can try out a different pattern for each square. Get a book of Depression quilts or the history book from your state or hers and see what was popular then. And to think you are holding the same pieces of material your grandmother did,you have much in common.

Carol J.
    Grandma was very talented! My aunt picked up her drawing and craft skills and I took the quilting skills. Every quilt I've made is very special to me since you have to put your heart and soul into it.....along with blood, sweat and tears. LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Not sure what you mean by 2 pieces? As far as what kind of paper, copy paper will work fine as long as you keep your stitch really short so it will like "perforate" the paper.

This is the pattern I found onlline. It's in 2 pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You'll use both pieces....the rounded one is the round/corner part of the flower and the other is the petals. You'll need to make a bunch of copies.....good luck and post pictures! :D

"double ring" is what my great-grandmother made for my mother and dad as a wedding present in 1945.

Blog Entries
    Grandmother's Fan is my choice, in honor of your grandmother.

HST = half square triangle

Quote Originally Posted by caliquocat
    Square in a square, Tree of life or Pine tree, Broken dishes.
    Ohhhhhhh caliquocat, I love your avatar, as I have 17 swallow nests under my roof. Did you design it yourself?

I got one block done and love the way it looks! Still have to applique it and working on that now. It was so much fun using the paper piecing method. :-D

Lovely quilt and the quiling is very nice. Happy Quilting :-D

The completed quilt isn't one I made. It was just a picture I copied from Google. It is beautiful though. I'm going to use the pattern with my Grandma's material and make a 3 piece wall hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by vschieve
    "double ring" is what my great-grandmother made for my mother and dad as a wedding present in 1945.
    That's a wonderful gift! Is that going to be something that will be passed down to you? One of these days I'll get brave enough and try one.

Have you ever looked at the quilt patterns on Quilter's Cache? The website is www.quilterscache.com. I have found lots of quilt patterns there and the directions are very clear and accurate.

you can find many vintage quilt patterns at http://www.earlywomenmasters.net/quilts/index.html

Blog Entries
    Kim, so nice to meet you. You are very new here and sew glad you enjoy this forum.

Do you happen to know what pattern(s) are your Grandmother's favorites? That might be fun to do. For myself, I enjoy doing log cabin blocks and paper piecing. Hope you will post when you finish your quilt or as it is in progress. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    Have you ever looked at the quilt patterns on Quilter's Cache? The website is www.quilterscache.com. I have found lots of quilt patterns there and the directions are very clear and accurate.
    WOW!! I've added this site to my favorite's list.

Quote Originally Posted by luckylindy333

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Sews
    you can find many vintage quilt patterns at http://www.earlywomenmasters.net/quilts/index.html
    With sites like this I may go into my sewing room and never be seen again. LOL!!

old fabrics deserve an old pattern , how about a pickle dish?

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    what about the age old pinwheel?

Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Kim, so nice to meet you. You are very new here and sew glad you enjoy this forum.

Do you happen to know what pattern(s) are your Grandmother's favorites? That might be fun to do. For myself, I enjoy doing log cabin blocks and paper piecing. Hope you will post when you finish your quilt or as it is in progress. :-D
    I'm enjoying this forum so much! Lots of great ideas and even more talent here. I don't know if Grandma had a favorite pattern or not. I have one block finished and did post a picture of it. I've got it appliqued now so on to the second one. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Always In Stitches
    old fabrics deserve an old pattern , how about a pickle dish?
    That's one I've never heard of so Googled it. WOW!! That's a gorgeous pattern.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast