Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pattern online or print?

How many have their patterns printed out or do you keep them bookmarked on line?

I had a bunch bookmarked then power went out and I thought i better have a hard copy in case :shock:

How many patterns do you have?
    I am thinking I have about 60 blocks and close to 75 patterns stored in a flex file.

I know not to ask if I am crazy since I already know I am LOL
    just wondering what yall do with your patterns.

Blog Entries
    Some I print, some I just save on my computer. I hate to guess how many I have counting all the magazines!

Most of mine I have printed and 3-hole punched in a binder. I have a lot that have piled up all over the place that have not made it into the binder yet. I am not terribly computer savy so I like to have a "hard" copy. Especially if I am going to work on it.

I had a pattern saved and one day when I went to look for it gone. Some patterns only stay on for a certain time and they are gone. I say do what Jim gem does make your own pattern book.

I print most of mine out - go through so much color ink! I feel safer printing them. I also have binders, though right now there are quite a few loose ones!

When I first started quilting I saved patterns and templates. About 6 months ago i went through it all and elimitated 75% or more of it. I had a lot of patterns that were traditional, and others I liked then but not now. Now I only download those I will make right away. I have a lot of block patterns I use 2 or three times and then toss. This summer I will sort out some books and mags...need more room for the fabric :wink:

Blog Entries
    About 6 months ago i went through it all and elimitated 75% or more of it. I had a lot of patterns that were traditional, and others I liked then but not now.
    Same here, Ruth. That's why I just save the pattern as a pdf file on my computer. Even looking through those I sometimes wonder why I ever saved it. Also saves ink by just printing when I'm ready to actually make the pattern.

I have printed some off, I have a large notebook with plastic pages you can insert patterns and fabric[small amount] and notes for future reference. I also have many patterns and blocks saved on my favorites. Can't bring myself to pitch anything. I might need that! Ever hear that before??

I bought an external Hard Drive, and I save quilt patterns and embroidery designs to it. I usually download to my computer, and then back it up to the external once a week so I don't have to keep it plugged in all the time.

i have some printed off that i feel i might not be able to get again, with sites sometimes gone and all. for the most part tho, i bookmark 'quilting' and then under that i sub-divide into things like 'blocks' or 'resources' or 'websites' or 'entire quilts' (where it really has to be made as one like a bargello or like that), etc. it makes things easy to find and i print down from there. if i pull something up and don't like it anymore, then it's gone. if i see something with a new twist, it's easy to add.

i can't afford the space that hard filing takes up. lol :roll:

I have a binder or two around, but then I found a nifty free little program called Cute PDF Writer. It's free through http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
    It shows up as a printer, and you can save web pages just as you see them. I'm a bug about file backups, but they would be east to burn to disks, too.

Sites change so often that bookmarks are too unreliable.

i save the patterns that i like to pdf and put them on cds. i now have four 'quilting' cds. :D it's fun, and if you save them in pdf format, you should always be able to open them.

but before i started doing this, i printed and put in a binder. i may take the time one day to scan them all, but it works like it is for now.

I print all of mine, but I also have a file on the computer that holds them too. All the printed ones are in binders so I can have them while sewing.

I just don't have space, so disks are the perfect long term storage solution for me.

I usually print mine out and put them in a 3-ring binder; however, I also have a separate folder just for quilting stuff so I save most of them on my PC. In addition, in order to free up space on my computer I also save them on their own CD or the new stick savers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    When I first started quilting I saved patterns and templates. About 6 months ago i went through it all and elimitated 75% or more of it. I had a lot of patterns that were traditional, and others I liked then but not now. Now I only download those I will make right away. I have a lot of block patterns I use 2 or three times and then toss. This summer I will sort out some books and mags...need more room for the fabric :wink:
    Ruth, I think you have the right idea and I, and I'm sure others, also hit overload sometimes. We want to make them all

Blog Entries
    Wow, you folks are so organized!! Things I find on the internet, I save to my computer in a quilting file but I'm having trouble with magazine patterns. One pattern per magazine, no problem, I cut it out. More than one and there's trouble and the added headache of how to store those magazines. I think I like looking at patterns almost as much as sewing them up.

dsk
    Your best bet would be to put them on a dvd and store them in a fire safe. We do this with house hold items and records. That way you can store multiple items and have them at hand and safe

Blog Entries
    all of the above. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I print and file patterns I like. And I am now going through all my quilting magazines, and tearing out the patterns I want and discarding the rest. Other wise I would never be able to find the pattern or know which magazine it is in.
    The magazines I get usually have photos of the quilts in that issue in the front and thats how I usually find them, if I haven't bookmarked them.

I think I am right up there with you as far as paper patterns. I don't have my own computer--use hubbys and when I find a pattern I like, I print up several copies. I may never get around to making it, but love to browse for patterns as much as browsing for fabric. I guess I am overly optomistic or just plain loony cause I should know I have more than I can ever make in a lifetime :!: :lol: I store mine in a small plastic 2 drawer chest but hope to find a file cabinet to store them in one of these days.

I do what BeachLady does...print, put in clear plastic sleeves and put in 4 inch 3 ring binders. I have things separated into Quilts and Crafts...over the years I haven't been realllllllllllllly precise in making sure Quilts/Crafts are in their right binder simply because I have about a million! Collecting patterns is like building up a "stash" of fabric........never enough! Nuts! Who said I am????? :lol:

My quilt magazines all have little colored tabs stuck here and there ...those tabs tell me there is a pattern there that I really want to try. I do the same with Taste of Home-type magazines. Tabs here, tabs there, everywhere a tab tab!

BZang: I, too love to look at patterns (and recipes) almost as much as making the blocks or cookies. Have either a quilt book/magazine or a cookbook/magazine in my lap, tote bag, car ALWAYS.

Banned
    i don't trust the internet or my computer. when i see a pattern i like i save it on a cd......and on external hardrive

If there's something I want to keep, I save it to the computer in a file. The bookmarking isn't as reliable as some patterns get moved, removed, replaced....

Banned
    I also have countless patterns . In folders , in my favorites , on cd's and on a flash drive . I think we all keep the ink companies in business lol . If I was to try and make all of them , it would truly be a nonstop sewing marathon ! Annie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast