Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern question >

Pattern question

Pattern question

Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 AM

Within your directions there will be a key showing what all the different symbols on your pattern pieces mean. It is very important to read all the directions from the lay out of the pieces on the fabric to the directions for construction. Once you get the hang of it, you'll not be looking at them much anymore unless you get stuck on something. Good luck and keep asking questions when you need to. :D
Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

You said you are making an apron - so exact fit isn't an issue for that -

If/when you decide to make a garment, pattern sizing and ready to wear sizing may or may not match. So be sure to get the measurements of the person that the item is for and compare them to the measurements given for a particular size.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Also be sure to notice if it says 'place on fold' anywhere on the pattern piece, along with watching for the grainline markings. It will also have listed on each pattern piece how many of each to cut, whether it be one or two....
And don't cut off the little arrow bump out thingys along the edges, they help you match up the pieces when you're sewing them together.
:D
OMG! Yes. I forgot that part. Write everything on your pattern pieces that is on the original.

Thank you MollieSue, for that reminder. :D :D :D
Old 11-11-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Those notches (much better word for them then my arrow bump out thingys! lol!!) will match the notches on the piece your sewing it to. They help keep everything lined up right.
And how could you have known? I think patterns were much better years ago, about explaining things!
:D
i never cut notches. i cut outward into little triangle-y things. cutting inward creates terrific spot for a tear to begin. i also copy off patterns that i think i will use more than once because those tissue patterns fall apart. i have cheap muslin copies of my favorite patterns. they are folded and in a plastic bag with the original pattern. when i use them, i starch and iron them first. it's easy because they're in pieces now. the muslin clings so you don't need pins.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 AM

When I found a pattern that I thought I would use more than once I would cut out the pattern pieces a little beyond the lines, press the pattern pieces with a dry iron, then press each piece onto a fusible stabilizer (there are different types, but any one will do). Cut out the pieces on the lines, pin to fabric and cut etc....
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM

TX_cutie

1...pin pattern
2...cut pattern and fabric
3...mark darts, etc...onto the fabric from the pattern
4...remove the pattern ........and start joining A to B to C...etc.......

It is fine to reuse the pattern, you just won't have the extra tissue and you will cut along the edges of the pattern.

I did a lot of apparel sewing until I discovered quilting.......

mj