Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern rebel? >

Pattern rebel?

Pattern rebel?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Yes, it came free with American Patchwork and Quilting. The original finished size is 50 X 64. It has 10 crayons down the length but I am not going to do that many. It is pretty easy to change the measurements. My crayons only have 14 pieces instead of 20 and I will be doing 7 crayons-pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, mauve?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Usually, I follow the pattern; but last night I finished a quilt to which I added 2 borders. The pattern had no borders; however, when I finished piecing the top, the quilt was smaller than I wanted. I have finish quilting and binding the quilt and I love it. I think it looks much nicer with the added borders and now it is exactly the size I wanted. I say go with the larger size crayons and the crayon border. I'll bet your quilt will be much prettier than the pattern.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 PM

I use a pattern as a starting point. I usually have to change it some way. Cooking is the same.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:36 PM

I belong in the "almost always making some change or another" group. That goes for patterns and recipes. I tend to read both as I would a book, for entertainment. LOL
When it's time to get cooking up a quilt, or dinner, I dig into the stuff teeming around inside my head and come up with an idea.
For quilting, next I get out the graph paper and plan it out so I know what to cut, then it's to the stash to pull out the ingredients for the quilt.
For dinner, I go to the pantry and pull out what I need to follow my idea.
In both cases, what is in the stash/pantry (or not in it) could cause changes in the plan, but it all works out in the end!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 04:09 AM

Depends...if it's something I'm making for myself or a gift, I'll play around with the pattern. If it's something I'm making per order, I usually follow the directions UNLESS they don't make sense to me or I see an easier (for me) way to do the same thing. Then, as long as it looks like what was requested, it's all good. This applies to quilting and general sewing as well as recipes and just about anything I do! :-)
Old 01-24-2015, 05:58 AM

I think patterns are much harder to follow than making a quilt that is in my head. I think I have a learning disability because when I read a pattern, it doesn't make any sense.

I use graph paper to put down my idea and go from there.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:13 AM

I am making a quilt for my daughter...king size with a twin pattern. The pattern layout is great but with the fabrics I have chosen I have to adjust or it looks unbalanced. AND adding width and length requires tweaking. Fortunately for my sister is veteran quilter and encourages me to be brave and not always follow a pattern. Still scary for me because I am a rule follower, not much of a rebel.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 AM

Tartan that crayon is sew cute! And I love that you changed it up to be the size you envisioned. I don't always change patterns but usually use them as a jumping off point like you. And if I get some other idea of what would look better (to me) that's what I do. Baby gets what Baby wants right? Love your idea and can't wait to see the finished quilt!

thimblebug that quilt is really cute too!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:49 AM

Oh My Goodness, Tartan, I guess there is more than one "Color Me Happy" pattern, sorry did not mean to butt in!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:34 PM

I also, change almost all of my patterns, I think that they are inspiration, so I don't know why I buy patterns,. I should just look and hen design my own, just got EQ7 so maybe I will try to design my own and save some money.