Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern Suggestions?

Pattern Suggestions?

I bought a bundle of 5 one-yard fabrics today. I am a pretty new quilter so I don't have a lot of patterns. Can someone suggest a pattern to use these fabrics. There are 3, a navy, a green, and a medium blue that would present as solid, a blue and white print and a yellow print that has all the other colors plus pinks.

I would post a picture but I dont see the option.

Blog Entries
    to activate your picture posting, go to settings/general settings. scroll way down and click WYSIWYG.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    Jenny Doan has many YouTube videos of quilt tutorials for the Missouri Star Quilt Co. Another good site to visit is Bonnie Hunter's site at www.quiltville.blogspot.ca and click on the Free Pattern tab.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board from Oklahoma! Happy quilting!

I can't help you with posting a photo, but I can welcome you from the beautiful mountains of western NC.

Welcome to our board from AR

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board. Many free patterns out there.

I would also recommend Missouri Star Quilt patterns. Very quick and easy.

Blog Entries
    go to pinterest for ideas. also just google quilt patterns (be prepared to spend a lot of time, there are thousands!). If you see a pattern you want to try, print it out (enlarge to whatever size) and cut out the pieces. Recut them with a seam allowance and play with it on a scrap piece. You can play with graph paper to figure out how much you want. And, of course, there are hundreds of companies that sell patterns. You might want to stay with some of the well known 'easy for beginners' patterns and companies until you feel a bit comfortable. By that, I mean the patterns from companies like Missouri Star Quilt Company and Quilt in a Day often have you tube videos of their patterns so you can watch them make then and explain the challenges.

Also, Quilt in a Day, Eleanor Burns, has many tutorials. There really is unlimited quilt info out there now. I'm sure you will find something to inspire you.

Fabric Junction has a tutorial called 5 o'clock. I used all kinds of lavender and purples but your colors would turn out nice.

My friend just completed a quilt with five 1 yard of fabrics and gave me the pattern, but I cannot remember the name or designer. When I get home from vacation, I will check. I googled it hoping I would see the pattern but didn't. Google "five 1 yard fabric quilt patterns" for some ideas. Hers had two borders, a strip of fabric, a strip of zig zags, strip of fabric, and repeat. It was really cute!
    May your day be blessed and your quilting sew happy! Enjoy the process and the product!
    ​Vinette

A lot of people like Warm Wishes. Boxed Squares is one of my favorites. Log Cabin. There are so many. If you research Quilt Blocks Galore", there is a site that will even tell you the difficulty range.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

There is a pattern called Take Five by Teacher's Pet that might work well for you. Plus there are two books with many patterns in them that are designed for five fabrics, one yard each, Take 5 by Kathy Brown and More Take 5 Quilts by Kathy Brown. I bought my books from Amazon, but I don't recall where I bought the pattern.

Let me see if I can find a picture of one of the Take Five quilts I made....okay, here are two. I haven't made any from the books, but there 16 patterns in each book.

Maybe these can give you some ideas.....oops, I selected a picture out of focus. I don't know how to remove it, but I will start another answer and include a better picture. Sorry.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

Second chance at picture....and, since I am not sure any of the yellow ones are in focus...pictures are too small to see detail...I am adding two more. Obviously, this is a pattern I made quite a few of. And I have too much help from my quilt inspector.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

I agree with Dina's suggestion about Kathy Brown's books. I currently have "Take 5" from my local library. There are 15 patterns of various sizes in the book, with cutting layouts for efficient use of fabric.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!