Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern testing >

Pattern testing

Pattern testing

Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
So I'm assuming that for a full pattern test, all the way thru to quilted & bound, you are compensated for your time & materials.

There is a quilt pattern testers Yahoo group. Might be worthwhile to join. Also if you google 'quilt pattern testers' there are several blogs specific to this topic. One issue that may be covered is copyright of your design before publication.
i do test from start to finish...I supply my own fabric and my time--the *compensation* Is the right to sell *or gift* the quilt after it is published-- your name with the published picture and they add a few extra month's to my magazine subscription... i'm sure different magazines/designers have their own policies
Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Thank you this helps
Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM

I tested one once. It was a digital paper piecing pattern and I learned about the testing on a blog I follow. I was given the pattern to try and had to let her know if I had any difficulty with it, plus I sent a picture of the finished block.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:52 PM

I just finished a quilt I pattern tested. She asked for testers on her blog and on instagram, and you had to define which size you were going to make, agree to the deadline, etc. I went in a completely different color way than her original quilt. She asked for feedback for all aspects - from the instructions on cutting to piecing. I provided images along the way where I would have questions and of the finished quilt (quilted and bound). And she asked that no one publish full photos on their blog or other online outlet until she releases the pattern. Interestingly enough, she did rewrite the pattern several times for clarification and 'ease'. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to her next pattern testing event!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Power Poster

I just did one for the original poster.

It was interesting/fun to do something with the intent of finding errors! I would like to do another one.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:12 PM

I have a pattern that needs to be tested if anyone is interested its for a boy or girl ages 2-6 it's 80X55 any takers.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
I just finished a quilt I pattern tested. She asked for testers on her blog and on instagram, and you had to define which size you were going to make, agree to the deadline, etc. I went in a completely different color way than her original quilt. She asked for feedback for all aspects - from the instructions on cutting to piecing. I provided images along the way where I would have questions and of the finished quilt (quilted and bound). And she asked that no one publish full photos on their blog or other online outlet until she releases the pattern. Interestingly enough, she did rewrite the pattern several times for clarification and 'ease'. It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to her next pattern testing event!
I jumped on your blog I love your work! I just started blogging its fun to see what others do.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:55 AM

When you "test" these patterns do you have to identify the fabric/mfgr of the fab u use...does it have to be newer, or can it just be stash-fab? So they don t publish your rendition of the pattern? In several mags I have seen at end of piece a smaller , different version of the featured quilt..is this what a tester does.....but those published, if I remember, also list the fab they have used......
Old 06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae View Post
I tested a pattern for someone that belonged to QB. It was a lot of fun!
I believe " Candlequilter" did a PP pattern test here on QB. I made one for her. She sent the pattern which was ours to keep in return for sending her a finished block. She made quilts with the blocks received.

I would be up to doing it again too.
peace
Old 06-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Hi Karie,
There's a group on Yahoo, called Quilt Pattern Testers. They have a huge list of people who are willing to test for you. I've used them myself. There's a quilt tester's contract on the Yahoo group that I recommend -- not all testers will give you much input. They are generally not paid with money, but appreciate quilting supplies as payment. Are you a member of Peace By Piece or Needles and Friends? I'll bet some of the ladies at the guilds would love to test for you.
Annette (at Bernina in Logan)