Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns for Moda Scrap Bags? >

Patterns for Moda Scrap Bags?

Patterns for Moda Scrap Bags?

Old 10-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Default Patterns for Moda Scrap Bags?

Moda scrap bags used to contain end run strips that were 2.5" or 3" wide, without the selvedges. The last ones I bought had barely any that were 2.5" wide... more like 1.5" or even 1" wide. So you can't use them in jelly roll patterns like you could with the old ones. I'm wondering what people are doing with these, when the width of strips varies so widely. About all I can come up with is some big scale string quilts, using the strips in place of strings.

Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Paper piecing patterns. I've done some that use small widths. Also collage quilt wall hangings.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:44 AM

Wow those are narrow. Log Cabin might be an option, you can make them "modern" out of different widths of strips, just keep going with the L shapes until you get the size you want. Through this board I recently found out about "crumb" quilts, not for me but you can use tiny little pieces.

This thread came up a week or so ago, Huntannette had some great examples of using adding machine tape as a foundation in the middle of the first page.
I don't get what the 'reciept' is for when making string quilts

I had given away the adding machine tape I had when I purged my sewing room of craft materials, but I picked up some at the Goodwill recently. So far I've found it in bags hanging up in the Office Supply or Craft sections at 3 out of 4 Goodwills I've recently visited. I like the idea of making lengths/rolls out of my small cuts of fabric when I want to do something in the sewing room but not quite sure what... then you can just roll up the tape until you are ready to do a project.

Personally I've decided that I don't want to keep anything much smaller than 6-6.5" but I do have strips cut down to 2" width to use up.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I like the log cabin idea. Chopping the strips up any smaller do not appeal to me at all. I have plenty of scraps to do that with, LOL.

Thank you, please keep the suggestions coming.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Well, that's annoying. I've never bought the scrap bags before but that would be a disappointing change. I use that narrow a width for mini quilts but I've used them, also, for inner borders or sashing scrap quilt projects. You can also use them for piano key borders or framing blocks etc. Log cabin would be my choice, too, if I was using them for a whole quilt project. Maybe, 9patch's....
Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 PM

I wonder if that just happened with the scrap bag that you got this time. Mine did have selvages but the widest ones were 3 1/2" wide and the narrower ones were 1 3/4". I was planning on making a rail fence quilt.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:52 AM

I was gifted a Moda scrap bag and made a quilt as you go tote bag for my mother. Here is the link I posted on the quilt board with the photo. No worries about what width the strips are in this project. It was a fun way to use them up.

Quilted Tote Bag from scrap strips!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 AM

I’ve never had a scrap bag but the log cabin makes sense. Good luck, I know you will put the scraps to good use.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:40 AM

I would make a wrapped cotton rope basket (clothesline basket). These are easy to do and make great gifts.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:38 AM

Some ideas I have been dying to make that use different width scrappy strings:

http://filminthefridge.com/2012/02/2...ck-a-tutorial/

https://bloomingpoppies.net/tutorial...ipes-tutorial/

Converging corners has been really popular over the years and can be done completely scrappy, color blocked, or however you want. You can google images to see examples.