Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay It Forward!! >

Pay It Forward!!

Pay It Forward!!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by cherryberry
I also am a nurse. Last week one of our young nurse techs who is a poor nursing student got word from her older sister that her mom now had mets to the liver and she should come home to Chicago immediately. I was able to give her the money she didn't have so she could fly home. She didn't want to take it and like many of you I told her, let me have this opportunity to do something for you and someday just "pay it forward". Every time the occasion happens when I am able to help someone else, it makes me feel as if I am the one who has received a special gift. Is that how ya'll feel?
Yes - and it's probably HARDER to be on the receiving end. You chose the right words to help her receive your gift. Thank you for sharing that with us.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM

I am so glad everyone is enjoying this thread! i know i just love reading everyone's stories about paying it forward!! just warms my heart!!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 PM

What we know is that, for some of us," giving is getting."
I have 3 manila envelopes taped inside of my fabric cupboard.
One is for selvages, one is for crumbs, and one is for 1 1/2 "
squares, for 3 QB friends. I am on the look out for green
cloth and dog prints for others. When I ask for something, my mailbox is loaded. Hoorah for us!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM

ok i have had a some wonderful folks help me out, i dont hae a job so with this play it forward dose it have to be quilt related i am just beginning and have very little on it but i do have other things like beaded crosses i have made , a couple books i dont use not quilting,
other then that the play it forward we as a family have done was mow our elderly neighbors grass She dosent need to mow it in this heat,
Hugs Dora
Old 09-24-2010, 03:43 PM

When I was in high school I did not have money to by a graduation ring and my uncle gave me enough money to buy it I told him I would pay him back he said no just do it for some else this was in the earlyy 60'ds sence then I have paid for 3 rings
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM

I have read all these stories, at times having trouble reading the end of the story due to overly wet eyes. Thank you so much for sharing all of your stories. I try to PIF whenever I can, and to do RAK, because of all the kindnesses that have been done for me in the past. (I'd rather not get into specifics.)
Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 PM

Now she is someone we should all pitch in together and make her a quilt as her housewarming present!! She is a true success story

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I am a firm believer in PAY IT FORWARD and WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

It was raining very hard one day. I saw a woman and child walking down the road. I stopped and asked if she needed a ride. She got in with her daughter and was told she was going to the Woman's shelter. She really did look worse for the wear and the daughter wasn't much better.

When we arrived, I could almost hear her relief. Before she got out I gave her $100 bill. She asked me for my name so she could pay me back. I said, "No, just don't let this be in vain. If ever you find someone else that needs help, please, do what you can." The woman smiled and said "Pay it forward"

Just a week ago, I stopped at the bank to make a deposit. (yahoo) I put my deposit in the canister and sent it on it's way. The canister came back with a two photos. One was the woman and her daughter taken about the time I had picked them up. The other was a photo of them today! I looked back at the bank and there she was waving wildly at me.

I went into the bank, she came running out, gave me a huge hug while she was crying. She said to another girl, "THIS IS THE LADY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT!" She told me that day was a turning point for her. She said, "If someone thinks enough of me to give me this money, I'm not such a bad person afterall."

She got her GED, got a BS in Business, and is buying a small home for she and her daughter. Her daughter is doing very well in school and every night she prays "Bless the lady that has the white car." Needless to say, THAT has truly MADE MY YEAR!

For PAY IT FORWARD, she volunteers at the Woman's Shelter and helps other women get education and work to better themselves. BUT, she is still a single mother and loves it.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM

when I was a kid... I grew up in a SMALL town... my teen brother worked construction to pay the house payment and we were POOR.
MY favorite thing to do was visit the local library.. I must have been there everyday for an entire summer! I would sit on the front steps and wait for the librarian to drive up and unlock the door! she knew my card number by heart!
so....
that summer my father found out that our house was going to
auction because of nonpayment of back tax's... at ten I really didnt understand this at the time... but HOMELESS was the word he used...
the day of the auction came and went... nothing happened...
the county commissioner came by the house and told my dad that it had been "taken care of" and to pay the taxes from now on.
that was the day I found out the librarian was the county commissioners wife :D

My family has been the recipients of RAK for SO long.. it has taken hold :D I LOVE to do crafts, I sew, quilt, stitch! and give it ALL away :D

my husband is scared that I pick up hitchhikers so often.. but HEY! it could be my dad!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM

One of our quilting sisters has asked me to " pay it forward" in prayer for her brother who is battling cancer right now. So, this is my way of paying it forward from her special gift of encouragement to me in the way of fabric pieces yesterday. So, this is my pay it forward - praying ( and I have done much of it already today ! ) for Terryl's brother, Donny.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM

i save selvedges and crumbs too. old quilting mags. craft items and wool scraps. lace that i'll never use. off they go for credit in my next life. that's really paying forward.

i get squishies that i never knew i needed in return, in addition.
that's the bonus part.