Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay It Forward!! >

Pay It Forward!!

Pay It Forward!!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I believe that each one of us can do something simple... and that it has a riple effect ... but no act of kindess is too small or too big ... :D I love reading these stories and gaining ideas to be a better at RAK
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by pgthom
Being a nurse, I believe our training makes us able to talk to almost anyone. As I go about my day, I speak to people I pass on the street, other customers in a store, people in the same elevator, anywhere I may be. It can be as simple as a "good morning", or a comment about the weather, whatever you are comfortable saying, as long as it is pleasant and there's a smile in your voice.

Every parent likes to hear something kind about their child, or how pretty that color looks on them, it can be just about anything you notice. You would be surprised how few people don't respond or at least smile back. It doesn't cost me a thing, only a few seconds effort, and it pays me back just seeing people react.

My late mother was very shy, and she always marveled that I would speak to almost anyone. Why not? We all like to be recognized as unique human beings.

pg---- I was touched by your story. Since I am also a nurse, I agree with you wholeheartedly that it takes so little to make somebody happy. My big thing now that I'm retired is to smile at strangers. It usually results in a wonderful smile back which makes me very happy. It's usually older people who smile back though. We need to teach our young people to smile at one another.
I really miss my relationship with my patients.
My initials are also PG. Doctors used to tease me about my name tag which read P Green. Get it? Pee Green? They thought was funny.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:16 PM

Well Pat, I am really Penelope Gwynne, therefore the pg. The thom comes from my last name.

A little nurse story...when I worked in the hospital, the other team leader, Peggy and I usually shared the supervision of our floor. Our manager would usually call us by each other's names, so for years I would answer to either Peggy or Penny. We are both retired now, not sure if Peg still answers to my name!
And no, I never P. Green! Thanks for the laugh.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:25 PM

Whenever I'm in Jo-Ann's, and I have extra coupons, or someone is buying someting really more expensive than my purchase I give them the coupon.
Living in the city, everyday I see a particular homeless man. I make it a point to give him a granola bar, apple or a sandwich. Times are tough, and we are here to look out for each other. :D
Old 04-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Made my evening with all the stories.
Went to ceramics class tonight and noticed the teacher didn't look well. His allergies were acting up big time and he had to get a steroid shot to even function.
Anyway, alot of the 'younger' students (there are over 25 students in class) finished up their work and left not bothering to clean up their messes. I thought how unfair of them to leave it to the teacher so started cleaning up. When I got everything done, the teacher, who I thought was busy in the back room, thanked me profusely as did the other two students finishing their work and who were cleaning up after themselves. Heck, we are required to do it as part of our grade. Good thing I am not the teacher as some would have gotten their grade docked a few points. It just felt right and good. Not a big deal to me but the teacher was appreciative.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:59 AM

i remember when i was in the 2nd grade and my dad was on an isolated tour in Korea. Mom had just had major surgery, was flat on her back, and having complications-(almost died). we--4 kids, were brought xmas by the little town of pond creek, oklahoma. it was the best xmas, with the most stuff, including food and p.j.'s that i can ever remember having. i can still remember some of the toys.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Tucson drivers are not always polite, so I go out of my way to be polite - letting cars turn in from side roads and store lots, leaving a space so left turners can turn when there's a lot of traffic. Yes, it sometimes makes the guy behind me mad, but that's his problem.

This used to be the norm everywhere - why has it changed in the last 20 or so years?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 AM

My son was dx with cancer in January and our whole town turned out for a benefit for him. I was very touched and overwhelmed so decided I needed to pay it forward. I am now making cancer comfort quilts for people in our little town who are going thru chemo therapy and also have made three quilts to be given to an orphanage for kids. I am not done yet, and will keep on giving. Marge
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
My son was dx with cancer in January and our whole town turned out for a benefit for him. I was very touched and overwhelmed so decided I needed to pay it forward. I am now making cancer comfort quilts for people in our little town who are going thru chemo therapy and also have made three quilts to be given to an orphanage for kids. I am not done yet, and will keep on giving. Marge
Marge: That's great! My friend has had two sisters die from breast cancer. In their honor, I have decided to grow my hair for "Locks of Love" that provides women undergoing chemo wigs made of natural hair. Next month is when my golden locks meet the scissors! It has taken me two years to grow my hair long enough for them to cut.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Barbm
I was trying to think of what I've done that stands out- I try to be nice to everyone (my coworker says I'm TOO nice) and make them feel special.

But I was thinking- about 3 weeks ago I helped a couple. They are both disabled, he walks with a cane and doesn't get around well. She has diabetes and heart problems. I got a call from a friend who is a mortgage broker- they were signing a gas lease and would get a big sign on bonus, with which they would pay off their mortgage. Problem- they are in foreclosure proceedings. Gas co. wants a subordination. they have these docs- so I sit down with them and help them. They send it in- they are waiting. Yesterday they get more docs from the lender- do they want to modify their mortgage? We sat down for an hour and I helped them fill them out and made copies for them.

I know they are not the cleanest or richest people, but they are salt of the earth- they will pay it forward because that's the kind hearted people they are. And it felt good knowing I could help them and they didn't have to pay someone or have someone take advantage of them.

(But the gas co. decided they won't wait for the subordination and has decided not to pay the sign on bonus- grrr.)

And I do this because once upon a time I too was divorced, unemployed with 3 little ones and my sister stepped up to the plate and provided Christmas for them- including outfits. She knows she can ask for the world and I would give it to her because she came through for me. (Oh, I went to the Salvation Army that year to get a toy for each of my kids. I went to the door- saw the people and said- I can't do it- they need it more than me.)

Another little one- in line at Wal-Mart- mom in front of me was short about 5.00 for her bill. She told her kids they had to put back a box of locally made pizza (my kids love it too). I said to the girl quickly- wait- let me pay for it and you take it home. She didn't want to accept it- but I told her I know how kids love it- and she took it. She must have thanked my 10 times and the kids were so excited.

I try to be good- sometimes I have to work real hard to get Evil Barb to stay quiet. (that's what I call myself if I am teetering on the edge of being nasty)
Barb you are wonderful and pay it forward in many ways including sending me quilting things so I can learn to quilt. if it was not for you and some other ladies, my joy of quilting would still be sitting in my heart and head instead of coming out on fabric. God bless. Penny