Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay It Forward!! >

Pay It Forward!!

Pay It Forward!!

Old 04-15-2010, 03:30 PM

This doesn't have to be related to quilting in any way. just post some way that you have paid it forward recently. Get to thinking!!!
---------------
Yes, over 50 years ago I traveled to Texas from CA with an old car and
two small daughters. In the bottom of CA my car broke down in the desert near
a dry lake. And old black man stopped and offered to fix it and to take me home
with him, of course I was too frightened to accept. This nice Gentleman went home and brought back his wife, who took over us like my mother would. She fed us while Papa fixed my car, then they sent me on with a nice sack dinner, with the suggestion that I try to help other black folks. This I've done for many years, but my worst hurt was that I lost the address and names of these two marvelous people!! And I'll always remember them and their kindness. I do know that God will praise them for their actions!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by montanaquilter
humbird---just remember to "pay it forward" sometime!!
Oh yes, for sure I will do that!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

when I was working, I gave a lady $100.00 to buy her kids Christmas gifts, and one day at Joann's there was this sweet little lady counting her money, the lady asked her what she was making and that sweet little lady was making quilts for foster children, so I told her to put her money away and get all the fabric she wanted and I paid for it. I have payed peoples rent,electric,water bills and I have put food on many tables, and I have raised three extra boys because there parents were on drugs and I did not want to see these children in the system. know I can not help anyone and I have had to ask for fabric from the people on this board so I could learn to quilt. Penny
Old 04-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I am a firm believer in PAY IT FORWARD and WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

It was raining very hard one day. I saw a woman and child walking down the road. I stopped and asked if she needed a ride. She got in with her daughter and was told she was going to the Woman's shelter. She really did look worse for the wear and the daughter wasn't much better.

When we arrived, I could almost hear her relief. Before she got out I gave her $100 bill. She asked me for my name so she could pay me back. I said, "No, just don't let this be in vain. If ever you find someone else that needs help, please, do what you can." The woman smiled and said "Pay it forward"

Just a week ago, I stopped at the bank to make a deposit. (yahoo) I put my deposit in the canister and sent it on it's way. The canister came back with a two photos. One was the woman and her daughter taken about the time I had picked them up. The other was a photo of them today! I looked back at the bank and there she was waving wildly at me.

I went into the bank, she came running out, gave me a huge hug while she was crying. She said to another girl, "THIS IS THE LADY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT!" She told me that day was a turning point for her. She said, "If someone thinks enough of me to give me this money, I'm not such a bad person afterall."

She got her GED, got a BS in Business, and is buying a small home for she and her daughter. Her daughter is doing very well in school and every night she prays "Bless the lady that has the white car." Needless to say, THAT has truly MADE MY YEAR!

For PAY IT FORWARD, she volunteers at the Woman's Shelter and helps other women get education and work to better themselves. BUT, she is still a single mother and loves it.
I can't write much right now because I can't see the keys on my keyboard through my tears. That is the most heartwarming story I have heard in years. Unbelieveable !!!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Pay it forward movie left a permanent message in my heart, whenever I do something nice for someone else I always tell them I don't want anything in return but to pay it forward. I see a lot of people who have fallen on hard times and I always do whatever I can whether it is a homeless person needing a cup of coffee or a bite to eat. A man from out of state passing thru had locked his keys in his car and I called a locksmith for him, the locksmith charged the man five extra dollars and tried to give it to me I told him NO! Give it to someone who he knew needed it he said he knew no one, I told him to put it in the church offering, I strongly believe in Pay it forward and the joy you get in your heart changes your life
Old 04-15-2010, 05:36 PM

I really enjoyed reading all your stories, even if they did make me cry.Sometimes it seems like everyone is out to skin you. This world is really getting in a mess. It is good to know there are still good people out there. God bless all of you. Let us all try to look for opportunites to pass it forward.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:43 AM

What beautiful inspiration!!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:48 AM

Several years ago my DH had to have seven hand operations after severing two of his fingers. He lost his job, no health insurance, and I had no job.
Our church at the time, helped us with some bills and repairs to his vehicle. Two sets of families gave us $125.00 each and wanted nothing in return except to play it forward. The 'church' family gave us some money and wanted us to 'return' the money when were able(this actually came from the preacher). They said they could not call it a loan as church's can't loan money, but they did want it returned. That set a little wrong with us, but a few years later things turned around for us. We not only re-paid the church with an offering, but to this day they have new fellowship hall tables (11)and a new storage shed they use all the time from 'anonymous'. Only one man in the church knew we had donated it. He never did tell anyone who donated it. We actually doubled the payment of the 'loan' because we knew it was what God wanted. We were not to take on the same attitude as the preacher.

We were ostracized (sp) by several of the folks in that church before we finished paying them back. The preacher and one other family were the worst.
We changed churches knowing we had to pay it forward with the money the two families had given us.

This Christmas, my DH gave $125 to a Veteran down on his luck so he could pay his electric bill. One down.
The DD of the one familly above, goes to my current church. She is very sick quite often (meningitis, gallbladder, infections)and having no health insurance and having to travel about 120 miles to another hospital for her meningitis. A month ago, she had a pancreatitis attack and was in the hospital again. My DH and I knew without a doubt we had to give her the other $125. After church we drove to town, went to her room, and guess who was in the room? Her mom and the preacher's wife who had ostracized us years ago. Well, mustering all the courage I could, I went in the room, smiled, said I had something for her, gave it to her and said she could open it later when she was alone that we were just passing it forward because so many folks had helped us years ago, and left. What a great feeling to have finished what we owed back. Now to keep doing it for others in need. Two down.

Sorry so long. Wanted to set the stage so to speak. It is true that what goes around comes around.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM

great story, thank you so much for sharing. it was awful of the preacher to do that to you and am sorry you had to deal with that. but....you came through and are helping others and are a better person for it. thank god!!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 AM

wvdek ... I'm sorry you had to deal with all that but I can say the Lord will bless you and your husband in many many ways :D God bless you!