Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay it Forward >
  • Pay it Forward

• Pay it Forward

Old 12-13-2010, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Riversong
    When I was growing up in the country"Paying it Forward"was a lifestyle ..and also bartering. Thats kind of a lost art.(quilters still do it :))
    Same here! Didn't need a movie to learn it, either.
    Old 12-13-2010, 02:38 PM

I agree, I love watching people waiting for or getting on the bus or metro, especially if they look tense or crabby, making eye contact and smiling. First they look startled, then smile back, then perk up, sometimes look a little embarrassed as if to say, I wasn't crabby at all!.

There are a huge number of muscles in the face, all with nerves connecting to the central nervous system, when we use them to smile, it changes feeling and thinking. It sure is fun to watch too!
    Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM

He had the idea then. Actually, it must be biblical, I bet someone has the chapter and verse. Glden rule maybe?
    Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Roseysue
    Wouldn't it be great if PIF was a concept the Scrooges out there could grasp. If somehow we could have an infleuence on those who have no clue as to what it is all about,
    "what a wonderful world it would it be".
    I know that is unrealistic, but I am a dreamer and like to see the side of making the impossible possible. And yes quilters do it quite naturally. Aren't we lucky?
    Easy solution to that is to PIF any time you get a chance. Maybe one of those is a scrooge who will take your example and do something nice for another person.
    Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 AM

I left my phone on a plane. The guy who found it started call my friends in the contact list. He got my number and called me. He said he'd but the phone in the mail. Well it arrived special delivery the next day. It cost him around $19. I called him to get his address so I could repay him. He wouldn't take any money. He said to pay it forward. So I'm waiting to do just that.
    Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 AM

I found a phone about 5 or 6 years ago and was in such a bad state financially at that time I could have eaten the phone! But it was possible to return it to the owner, a young business man in another city, so that was easy and still great for the owner.
    Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Maurene
    I found a phone about 5 or 6 years ago and was in such a bad state financially at that time I could have eaten the phone! But it was possible to return it to the owner, a young business man in another city, so that was easy and still great for the owner.
    I sent it COD!!
    Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by iluvquilts
    A few weeks ago when I went to Hobby Lobby and was checking out - I said - "Oh shoot - I forgot my 40% off coupon". The lady behind me said - "Here - I have an extra one" I thanked her and used it on a pack of Fat Quarters $9.99 less the 40%.

Ever since then, when I go to Hobby Lobby - I print out 2 coupons - one for myself and one for someone behind me. The last time - the coupon got passed back about 3 or 4 people because the others behind me didn't have any regular priced items and couldn't use the coupon.

Cindy
    we just got a hobby lobby here, so thanks for the info regarding printing more than one coupon, didn't realize we could do that. I was used to those stores that only one could be printed, though now I will probably go more often, yikes...
    Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 PM

Here's a good example. My husband bought a new winter coat, because the zipper on his old one was giving him fits. <personally, I think that it wasn't fitting him comfortably around the middle....but would NEVER say that to him :) >

Anyway, he carried his old coat around with him, in his car, until the next time he found someone who looked like they needed a new coat, and indeed he found a nearly homeless man to give it to. The man was very appreciative.

PS - he stuck a $10 bill in the pocket as a little 'extra'.
    Janet
    Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM

This has been the most heart warming thread to read!!!