Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
peachskin fabric >

peachskin fabric

peachskin fabric

Old 06-04-2021, 03:33 AM

Default peachskin fabric

Has anyone tried using peachskin in a quilt that is otherwise quilting cotton? Does it work in terms of weight?
Old 06-04-2021, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

I don't know what peachskin fabric is. Is it like velvet?
Old 06-04-2021, 06:24 AM

Is this perhaps like brushed cotton/ faux suede or the microfiber? I have purchased the brushed cotton sheets from Target, and have used them for backing on several quilts. I love the flat sheets from Target for quilt backs and the price is right!
Old 06-04-2021, 06:54 AM

When I did a google search, this is the description:
Peachskin fabric is 100% polyester, 58” wide and has a soft fuzzy-like texture. Peachskin is uniquely manufactured by brushing the fabric's polyester microfibers to give the fabric a soft suede-like feel and a subtle ribbed appearance

With that in mind, no I would not use it in the same quilt as 100% quilting cotton.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

It all depends on the look (and feel) you're going for. I've mixed corduroy, cotton, and flannel in rag quilts, knowing that the result would be interesting textures. If you want the peachskin to be indistinguishable from the cotton, then no, they shouldn't be mixed. But if you want to use a bit here and there because it is just the right color or texture, then go ahead. Be aware that the peachskin will not behave like the cotton when it is washed, and it won't have the same feel while you're sewing with it. It may be more slippery. Since it's polyester it won't shrink and will probably retain its color even as the cotton fades a bit. Maybe you could experiment a bit with it before committing to using it in a quilt.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I have never heard of it either but it sounds interesting. Might work for a lightweight backing on a spring or summer quilt.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:28 AM

Default Again, Google is your friend!

Originally Posted by nanitchka View Post
Has anyone tried using peachskin in a quilt that is otherwise quilting cotton? Does it work in terms of weight?
There are quite a few explanations! Looks pretty!
Old 06-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Peachskin from my experience, feels heavier then quilting cotton. It would depend on what weight the other fabrics were. It would fine in a Crazy quilt with corduroy, velvets etc. If the modern peachskin is totally polyester, I would be concerned about ironing it in case it melts or shrivels.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Polyester does retain the color better than cotton. That is all I know. Never used peachskin.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:38 PM

Peachskin is terrible to needle. Definitely wouldn't put it in a hand-quilted quilt. Might be OK in a machine quilted quilt. Will dull the needle quicker than cotton fabrics. Might cause tension issues in quilting.