Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question >

Question

Question

Old 06-03-2021, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Default Question

I am working on an old whole cloth embroidered quilt top. It has the little blue marks to follow for the embroidery and the quilting. It is probably 50 to 60 years old. Are there any things I should do to assure the blue marks come out when washed?
Old 06-03-2021, 05:24 PM
Power Poster

I would test a little corner as the marks are some times permanent. With that being said, I have seen some completed with just following the marks and they still look nice even though the dots didn’t come out.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh, gee, I hope not permanent. The lady I am doing this for asked for it to be quickly done. It is too big for my midarm so I am tieing it!
Old 06-04-2021, 04:54 AM

Tatan is right, there was a time when the blue marks were permanent. The stitching was supposed to cover them, they didn't. It just became a part of the quilt. You also have time working against you. What may have come out once, might not in vintage fabric. She will just have to understand. That's the way it was.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:26 AM

I've done several quilts like that and the markings never came out. Also seen vintage quilts where the markings were still there.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I agree... the blue marks are meant to be covered with thread. They don’t wash out.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:47 AM

I have machine quilted several of the vintage emb. tops for different people. Before quilting, I explained that the blue marks probably would not come out. The response from each person was they would rather have it quilted and able to display or use it with the blue marks still there than have it sitting unfinished in a drawer or closet. Personally, I thought the blue marks almost disappeared once the quilting was done. And the owners of the quilts were very pleased with the outcome.
Old 06-04-2021, 10:59 AM

My sister (passed away in 2004) traveled a lot with her husband's work and to keep her busy while riding, she embroidered the quilt blocks that Walmart use to sell...,I got all those blocks, there was enough blocks to make her granddaughter a twin size, my two daughters a full size each, myself a full size and our sister a tablerunner..they all turned out beautiful...I didn't wash any of the projects till I finished them and everyone of the blue dots disappeared...Finishing them was a year ago, so they were at least 16-17 years old...I was surprised and very happy the dots came out...Good luck with yours...
Old 06-04-2021, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

This past fall/winter I quilted 8 quilts embroidered with the blue dots and every dot washed out. These were fairly new blocks at least within the past year or two.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:31 PM

I think the more recent blocks with blue markings wash out Its those from the 30's. 40's and maybe 50's that typically don't wash out.