Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pencil on fabric >

Pencil on fabric

Pencil on fabric

Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM

I tried Grandma's Secret Spot remover and WOW is it great!

My husband got somehting on his scouting shirt the first time he wore it. I stuck it in the wash after spraying it with a pre-spray. I put it straight into the dryer. When I got it out, the stain was still there.

I had heard on this board about Grandma's and thought that I might as well try it. It took that stain straight out!

I also used it on some slacks that had a light stain. It happened a few months ago, so it had been washed and dried. The pre-stain treatment didn't work. So then I tried Grandma's and it came out too!

I think it's wonderful stuff. I found mine in a Local Quilt Chain Store (but not at Joann's).
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

i've been using a good ole sharp pencil with success to mark fabrics for gee...40+ years...and have never had a problem with it washing out.
i've had plenty of problems with specialty quilting pencils, pens and markers.
write as lightly as you can and still see what you need to see, do your work, when you are done with your project -- wash it...no more pencil marks.
i always test a small piece of the fabric i am going to write on just to make sure, i have never had pencil not wash out. and i've had pencil come off with a good eraser too. but i wash everything i make when it is finished.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
now I thought ppl marked their quilts with pencil and it came off???? and now u say it might not???? i'm so confused!!!
I never use pencil. I only use the disappearing markers made for quilters. You can get them at Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's. I'd much rather use something I know will come out than take a chance and ruin a quilt. Just my personal preference.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM

I have a fabric eraser that works very well, but it usually comes out in the wash
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Get thee to your nearest office supply store and buy a magic rub eraser. It is guaranteed to even remove ink(doesn't)but it does remove pencil marks. Leave no blemish or erasure marks. Since I'm working on double size applique quilt, this little guy is getting a workout!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:35 PM

use mechanical pencils, never had a problem yet
Old 12-15-2010, 03:52 PM

I've never tried this on pencil, but I mix equal amount of peroxide and water, spray it on the area and let it set for approx. 30 min. and then wash as usual. I have gotten old stains from blood, chocolate and grease from clothing. I'd be willing to try it.....nothing to lose!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM

When my one quilting group first started quilting, we used some of the "disappearing" pens and they kept reappearing. Learned to always test it out - but we keep going back to good ole lead pencils....
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
Mr Clean Magic Eraser will get it off! I just used it and it worked!
oh i love Mr Clean Erasers they are great for most everything