Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 157

Thread: Penny Halgren - AHHHHHHHHH!

  1. #1
    mac
    mac is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    838
    I first heard about Penny Halgrenís website from our message board here. I checked out her site and thought that it would be helpful to sign up and find out lots of information about quilting. I quickly started receiving messages from her website. At first they were interesting tips about quilting, then the selling messages started coming and coming and coming. Then a new wave of emails came from other websites that are tied to her website started coming, too. I canít remember the names of the sites, but they were rather numerous.

    Some days I would get three and four messages from her and her posse. It started filling up my mail box because I didnít have time to read them all. Sometimes the mail would have good tips and others would sound like she was going to give good tips but you would find out half way through her lengthy letter that she was selling the tips and instructions.

    Finally, I unsubscribed to her emails. At first I heard nothing from her, then one day an email popped up from her and then another and another. I unsubscribed again and the same thing would happen a few months later. I tried calling them to ask them to take me off their list, but they ask you to leave a message, then you find out that their mailbox is too full to take a message. Iíve tried several different times and the voice mail box is always full. This will make the fourth time I have unsubscribed to her website.

    Has anyone else had this problem? Did you get it resolved? If so, please let me know how you did it.

    AND if you havenít signed up for her website, please let this be a warning to allÖ

    Thanks for your help and listening to me vent.
    Mary Ann

  2. #2
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Thanks for the warning.

  3. #3
    Super Member Country1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,475
    Had same problem. Seemed like it just turned into a sales pitch not tips.

  4. #4
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    I always create a rule to delete messages I can't stop from coming. That way they get deleted before they even hit my mailbox.

  5. #5
    Super Member Kappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,283
    Blog Entries
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I always create a rule to delete messages I can't stop from coming. That way they get deleted before they even hit my mailbox.
    I didn't know you could do such a thing. How do you do it? Remember you're talking to a very non-tech person. :)

  6. #6
    mac
    mac is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I always create a rule to delete messages I can't stop from coming. That way they get deleted before they even hit my mailbox.
    I didn't know you could do such a thing. How do you do it? Remember you're talking to a very non-tech person. :)
    I am curious about how you do that, too. I know that I can and they will go in my spam folder, but I don't know how to automatically delete them.

    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Mary Ann

  7. #7
    Super Member Buckeye Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Monroe, IN
    Posts
    2,285
    mark any messages that you don't want anymore as spam. The computer will automatically send them to the spam folder and delete them after a day or so. you won't see them in your inbox again!

  8. #8
    Super Member Charleen DiSante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    near Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,030
    I wondered if it bothered anyone else to read through this lengthy and seemingly promising email and then slowly find out she is selling something (although it may be good....) it then takes another 5 min. of reading to find out the price. Glad to hear it's not just me. Thanks for posting.

  9. #9
    Super Member merry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    1,630
    Had the same problem with Penny 's site. In the small print at bottom of page is a link to either unsubscribe or "update your account." Followed them & unsubscribed. You can also report her site as spam on some browsers.

  10. #10
    Super Member nannyrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    5,832
    Maryann, I could have written your letter. When I started out a few months ago, I ordered her online book for Beginner Quilting and paid $39.00, (which I wish I had back). I soon found out that if you wanted to go further you would end up paying megabucks.
    Every e-mail was just a teaser to buy more. I soon found out I could have learned more, from this group or on Yu Tube. I regret the day I wasted my money, and time for this
    and am glad I didn't fall for more.
    I,m glad you posted this. I was kind of leery of doing it,
    because I thought I should not.
    I did get the e-mails to stop after a couple of trys.
    Hang in there and keep trying or just DELETE.

  11. #11
    TheSevenYearStitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Norman, OK
    Posts
    208
    I will stay away from Penny Halgren.

    Who is your email service? Gmail will usually pick up on that kind of spammng and keep it out of sight. You can also mark it as spam on a lot of services so they can keep it out of your inbox for you.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    295
    If you delete her name in your contacts folder that should also send them to the recycle bin.

    Good Luck

    Suzy

  13. #13
    Super Member Yarn or Fabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,393
    I opted out of getting her emails.... yes, I also got TONS of emails from her selling this or that. I don't even go to her site when I see it anymore. I got soured very quickly by it all.

  14. #14
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    8,682
    Sometimes I get an email from her that has a tip in it, and then the sales pitch. I haven't had more than a few from her. Haven't bought anything.

  15. #15
    Super Member virtualbernie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,588
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I always create a rule to delete messages I can't stop from coming. That way they get deleted before they even hit my mailbox.
    I didn't know you could do such a thing. How do you do it? Remember you're talking to a very non-tech person. :)
    I am curious about how you do that, too. I know that I can and they will go in my spam folder, but I don't know how to automatically delete them.

    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Mary Ann
    I only have experience with Microsoft Outlook which allows you to create rules to move messages to other folders (i.e. all of my QB messages go to a separate folder marked "Quilting" so that I know when new messages are posted. Any messages I don't want to receive anymore I open that message, click on "Rules" and click "Always move to" and then select "Deleted Items". That way I never see it. Sometimes it can take a while to do it because those slicksters sometimes change their email addresses and you have to do it for every different email address :?

  16. #16
    Super Member Kappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,283
    Blog Entries
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    I always create a rule to delete messages I can't stop from coming. That way they get deleted before they even hit my mailbox.
    I didn't know you could do such a thing. How do you do it? Remember you're talking to a very non-tech person. :)
    I am curious about how you do that, too. I know that I can and they will go in my spam folder, but I don't know how to automatically delete them.

    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Mary Ann
    I only have experience with Microsoft Outlook which allows you to create rules to move messages to other folders (i.e. all of my QB messages go to a separate folder marked "Quilting" so that I know when new messages are posted. Any messages I don't want to receive anymore I open that message, click on "Rules" and click "Always move to" and then select "Deleted Items". That way I never see it. Sometimes it can take a while to do it because those slicksters sometimes change their email addresses and you have to do it for every different email address :?
    Don't mean to be obtuse, but just "how" do you do this?

  17. #17
    cjr
    cjr is offline
    Super Member cjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    1,407
    I thought it was me. Glad you have spoken up. An occassional sales pitch is one thing, but from penny's sight 3-5 per day is waaaay to many.
    After first few found everything to be repetitious, definitely not a learning site.

  18. #18
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    I first heard about Penny Halgrenís website from our message board here. I checked out her site and thought that it would be helpful to sign up and find out lots of information about quilting. I quickly started receiving messages from her website. At first they were interesting tips about quilting, then the selling messages started coming and coming and coming. Then a new wave of emails came from other websites that are tied to her website started coming, too. I canít remember the names of the sites, but they were rather numerous.

    Some days I would get three and four messages from her and her posse. It started filling up my mail box because I didnít have time to read them all. Sometimes the mail would have good tips and others would sound like she was going to give good tips but you would find out half way through her lengthy letter that she was selling the tips and instructions.

    Finally, I unsubscribed to her emails. At first I heard nothing from her, then one day an email popped up from her and then another and another. I unsubscribed again and the same thing would happen a few months later. I tried calling them to ask them to take me off their list, but they ask you to leave a message, then you find out that their mailbox is too full to take a message. Iíve tried several different times and the voice mail box is always full. This will make the fourth time I have unsubscribed to her website.

    Has anyone else had this problem? Did you get it resolved? If so, please let me know how you did it.

    AND if you havenít signed up for her website, please let this be a warning to allÖ

    Thanks for your help and listening to me vent.
    Mary Ann
    SPAM is my friend - there should be a button around your DELETE button - at the top of your emails - instead of deleting her emails - SPAM them -
    Good luck

  19. #19
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,191
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    I first heard about Penny Halgrenís website from our message board here. I checked out her site and thought that it would be helpful to sign up and find out lots of information about quilting. I quickly started receiving messages from her website. At first they were interesting tips about quilting, then the selling messages started coming and coming and coming. Then a new wave of emails came from other websites that are tied to her website started coming, too. I canít remember the names of the sites, but they were rather numerous.

    Some days I would get three and four messages from her and her posse. It started filling up my mail box because I didnít have time to read them all. Sometimes the mail would have good tips and others would sound like she was going to give good tips but you would find out half way through her lengthy letter that she was selling the tips and instructions.

    Finally, I unsubscribed to her emails. At first I heard nothing from her, then one day an email popped up from her and then another and another. I unsubscribed again and the same thing would happen a few months later. I tried calling them to ask them to take me off their list, but they ask you to leave a message, then you find out that their mailbox is too full to take a message. Iíve tried several different times and the voice mail box is always full. This will make the fourth time I have unsubscribed to her website.

    Has anyone else had this problem? Did you get it resolved? If so, please let me know how you did it.

    AND if you havenít signed up for her website, please let this be a warning to allÖ

    Thanks for your help and listening to me vent.
    Mary Ann
    Start moving them to spam. Eventually they will automaticly go there and you wont have to sort through them!!!

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,501
    wow i am glad you brought this up the exact same thing happened to me !! it seems like she only wants to sell not to help !! i learn more from this board than i ever could from her and this is free!!!

  21. #21
    Super Member Moonpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante
    I wondered if it bothered anyone else to read through this lengthy and seemingly promising email and then slowly find out she is selling something (although it may be good....) it then takes another 5 min. of reading to find out the price. Glad to hear it's not just me. Thanks for posting.
    The price is always the same - with incredibly inflated comparisons, so three easy payments for something may seem like a bargain to the gullible.

    For AOL users, there is a "Spam Control" at the bottom of the inbox that will let you block addresses or mail containing certain words or phrases. It is not as complete as Outlook's rules, but easy to use.

  22. #22
    Super Member dixiebelle162002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    2,372
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks for the warning. :D

  23. #23
    Super Member stichinluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Western Kansas
    Posts
    2,130
    Yes, she was always trying to sell one thing or another.

  24. #24
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    howell, Mi
    Posts
    2,343
    I signed up a couple of days ago. It looked like a good place to get free patterns. I am already sorry--it has been less than a week. I haven't seen any thing of interest yet.
    Sue

  25. #25
    Super Member deedum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bluebell
    Posts
    4,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Country1
    Had same problem. Seemed like it just turned into a sales pitch not tips.
    agreed!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.