Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect fab storage. Need ideas please. >

Perfect fab storage. Need ideas please.

Perfect fab storage. Need ideas please.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:22 PM

$$ no object? I'd have a whole wall of built in cabinets with drawers in the bottom 3' and sliding design boards in the fronts.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
I really like the one lawyer book case I have with those glass flip down sliding out covers for the shelves. I have it against the north wall away from windows so no sunlight hits them and the glass doors keeps the dust out, yet I have a clear view of them and the doors are so easy to flip back and slide in out of the way. I think I would get more of them! I too just ruler fold all my stash of one yard or more. For the half yard cuts and the fat quarters, I have a cabinet with slide out drawers and have the fabric folded and stacked in rows in the drawers so again, I can see what I have without pulling things out. My scraps would go into clear bins on shelving units. Again sorted by color and/or size of scrap. I like being able to see what I have before I start pulling things out.
I have one of those cabinets, too. I don’t have a large stash cuz I try to not go crazy...I made fabric baskets by color and store FQ and odd sizes I can grab and go. Mini bolts for 1/yd - 2/yd, and larger are on the bolt. When my house was built last year, I designed my walk-in closet shelves to suit the bolt size and my craft boxes. I keep scraps cut in specific sizes in decorative boxes to match my colors.....which is bright, white, and black... lol..
Old 12-11-2020, 07:24 PM

Here is my barrister bookcase. Keeps fabrics dust-free...love it!
Attached Thumbnails 15eb46d6-a016-4306-880a-7025a00c7068.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2020, 03:44 AM

Teen, that's a beautiful piece of furniture. Love the fab baskets and mini quilts on the wall. (Did you tidy up for the pic?)
Old 12-12-2020, 06:24 AM

I have my stash in a closet with wire shelving and cubbies for the fabric. Works for me.
Old 12-12-2020, 06:31 AM

Can you say why you don’t want the comic boards?

Our system includes kitchen cabinets in our sewing room with most fabrics ruler folded and sorted by color in the uppers. Solids are in one cabinet. Blenders are in one cabinet. Holiday is in one cabinet. Precuts including GQ are in one cabinet.

In the lowers we have large cuts (backing), kits, and bolts. We also have a lower cabinet for packaged batting. Another lower has stray tools, a basket of seldom-used rulers, a backup iron, and a mystery corner 🤣. We have made a flat ironing surface and put on one counter, and we cut on an island made of kitchen lowers.

We have one bookshelf with doors where we store books and I-Spy fabrics.

If we were starting again, I would like to have some shallow, tall shelves to store fabric. I’ve seen IKEA shelves that fit the bill - I think they’re Billy shelves. Fabric would be folded on boards and standing upright. It’s not a complete disaster to pull stacks of fabric when we’re making selections, but it is a bit of a pain putting everything back, and making sure it’s stacked straight so everything fits. I just think having it stored upright “quilt shop style” would make it easier to take out and put away. I like the way we have everything sorted; it is very easy to find what we’re looking for. We would still have some lowers with an ironing station. We would cut on the Martelli table.

Sorry if the pic is upside down!
Attached Thumbnails a8d4a6a7-0f3a-491e-8aca-8ca439a693e0.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2020, 06:40 AM

Wesing...easy to answer. I started ruler folding when I start quilting decades ago. Just got comfortable with this process. When the comic boards came into the picture, I decided I would rather buy fabric or notions rather than the boards. Sometimes old dogs refuse to learn new tricks. Our black labs taught us well.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Can you say why you don’t want the comic boards?

Sorry if the pic is upside down!
I don't want to fold the yardage in to a second fold, wrap the board, and then unfold it again to cut it on the work table. The other issue for me is yardage would be too thick around the boards. I ruler fold on a 6.5 inch wide ruler. Then fold that in half. They stack nicely on the shelf.

I do have some of the hard plastic boards that I use as uprights for storing layer cakes in bins. They make nice separators.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:27 AM

As soon as I get organized, again, I need to FIX my fabric bookshelf. Oh and suppose need to clear off a place to ruler fold. No, wait. That activity comes under the heading of organize...right?
Old 12-12-2020, 10:36 AM

My sewing studio was designed back in 1997 just for my needs then. It included ample shelving in 2 Pantry cabinets and additional upper cabinets space. The cutting table is a wider counter top over lower cabinets t hat house many other crafting supplies. I house 6 sewing machines in this room and also my computer station with access to a bathroom on site. Over the years it seems to have gotten smaller and smaller and I have taken over our guest room with a 10' quilting frame and another sewing machine mounted to the frame and another 7 machines in there. I have one more machine in the living room.