Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The "Perfect" Jelly Roll >

The "Perfect" Jelly Roll

The "Perfect" Jelly Roll

Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
Ok... so the perfect JR would be more like a charm pack, in that every fabric would be different?
This concept is appealing.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 AM

Well... what about the concept of "junior jelly rolls" with 20 strips, all different? Then if you needed 40, you could order two, and if you needed more, you could order 3 or 4. You could control whether you got duplicates or not, by ordering two of the same, or two different, "junior"s.

What do you think?
This is the post I intended to reply to .... I like this concept.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM

perfect jelly roll in batiks would have no doubles.. And be either dark & meduim , or light and medium. And have no less than 40 strips... and no DUDS! I would also like to be able to see a better photo of what I am purchasing , Seeing a shot of a sealed package is not enough info to make a good decision. Even when you go to a shop , most are all sealed up and you can only see about 1/4 inch of the fabric.
I would also like a jelly roll of natural on natural color background or white on white in 20 no duplicate ( if I wanted doubles I would order 2).

I would love to have a jelly roll with all soft neurtral colors to use with fabrics I have. Why are light, neurtral colors so difficult to find?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM

I've never used a jelly roll, so I'm only guessing. For one thing, 40 different pieces would drive me crazy (I don't do random very well -- well, not well at all.) So I'm thinking One focus fabric- a few of those, one solid, one or two blenders, and perhaps another one that would compliment the focus fabric. The number of strips divided equally. That probably sounds ridiculous to those of you who use jelly rolls for those gorgeous scrappy looking quilts.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM

I have never bought a Jelly Roll yet - still too new at quilting to explore that far - but I think I would like the Jr. j/roll (20), well blended (I am still learning color/pattern conception) and being able to buy a Jr. j/roll of the neutrals(?) like white on white or white and beige - to me "seems" very like-able and do-able to work with. (Back on my perch!) :-)

Marysewfun
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM

I am not a fan of jelly rolls. I don't usually do strip pieced patterns. I prefer to have my fabric in yard goods. Jelly roll prices have gone up so much I have no desire to buy one.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM

I have only used one jelly roll and it was for a jelly roll race quilt so the measurements were important but ideal row should be exact measurements. I used Bali Pops (I know a lot of people have problems with them) and I liked them. First they are batiks, they are all different and they are packaged so you can see what you get. That would be my perfect jelly roll
Old 06-20-2012, 07:50 PM

Just a good assortment..no "uglies" stuck in the middle. Batiks or cottons. At least 40--50 would be better. 20 is just not enough. Definitely no doubles and last, but not least, 2 1/2 inches. Not 2 3/8 or 2 5/8 or 5 different sizes! There has to be a way to cut perfect 2 1/2 in. strips!
Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

I would have to go with jewel tone batiks, and no pinked edges, either.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Ok... so the perfect JR would be more like a charm pack, in that every fabric would be different?
Yes, I would prefer no duplicates. But the 40 count is more important to me. The perfect jelly roll to me would be one that had a more even distribution of darks & lights. Too many jelly rolls don't have enough lights. I also like "themes" (patriotic, baby) & the batiks sound good... but maybe jewel-tones in one, pastels in another, etx. I also like one tonal color jelly rolls. And the packaging? I like how Moda does theirs... a rolls. I don;t like them folded because then you have to iron them. Can you tell I just love Jelly Rolls? LOL!