Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfect Machine Binding???? >

Perfect Machine Binding????

Perfect Machine Binding????

Old 12-02-2010, 12:39 PM

Pin, glue, press then stitch in the ditch. It will save you a lot of pain and
anguish. When you pin check that your needle will cover the binding. If not,
trim the batting a little. I also trim the corners a little to reduce bulk.
Anyway, that's what I do and my binding came out perfect. Took me longer
to prep than to actually sew the binding but the end result was worth it. Not
one miss. :thumbup:
Old 12-02-2010, 01:22 PM

I watched the video of Leah Day and there is a line of stitching as she is sewing. I think I see the stitching. I was hoping to make the stitching as not noticeable as possible.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Seriously, I gave up cross stitch and needlepoint because my hands bother me. I'm on a computer all day at work and do heavy calculator work, so I can't do hand work to that degree on a quilt.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by lhavelka
I watched the video of Leah Day and there is a line of stitching as she is sewing. I think I see the stitching. I was hoping to make the stitching as not noticeable as possible.
Then you are going to have to hand sew. If you are using a sewing machine you are going to see stitching. The real answer is to use the right color and type of thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

If you use invisible thread and a blind-hem stitch (a la Harriet Hargrave's invisible machine applique method), the stitching is not at all noticeable to most people.

Alternatively you can use embroidery thread and a decorative stitch, such as a machine feather stitch, to add detail to the binding.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:34 PM

Can anyone who has pics of their bindings finished back and front please post them??? I would love to see your finished work.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:57 PM

The problem that I dont like is the placement of the stitching on the back. I stitch the binding to the back and fold it over to the front. I also tried the glue and I like it. I just need to figure out the placement of the stitches so that it doesnt show

I tried this, sewing the back then sewing to the front using a decorative stitch and I didn't like where the dec stitch ended up on the back.

However, if I sew it on the back, then fold binding to the back and press, pin like crazy and stitch again from the front (SID), then the straight stitch doesn't show too much on the back. There are usually a few small spots here and there that I touch up by hand but go slowly and it works. When I speed up, I goof it up.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by krisgray
The problem that I dont like is the placement of the stitching on the back. I stitch the binding to the back and fold it over to the front. I also tried the glue and I like it. I just need to figure out the placement of the stitches so that it doesnt show

I tried this, sewing the back then sewing to the front using a decorative stitch and I didn't like where the dec stitch ended up on the back.

However, if I sew it on the back, then fold binding to the back and press, pin like crazy and stitch again from the front (SID), then the straight stitch doesn't show too much on the back. There are usually a few small spots here and there that I touch up by hand but go slowly and it works. When I speed up, I goof it up.
Another method, my favorite is to use the backing as the binding. Roll it to the front and stitch, then you don't have to worry about the stitching on the back, one neat row if you stitched straight on the front.