Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: perfect quilts ?

Blog Entries
    I see so many posts here where people post pictures of beautiful quilts and then say 'it's not perfect'. I feel people are too hard on themselves, if it was perfect it would not look handmade. If you want a perfect quilt, buy one at Walmart that is made in China. If your quilt is as beautiful as is looks in the picture, then it is perfect in my book. Give yourself the credit you deserve.

Banned
    I always want to ask the maker "what is not perfect". There may be a lesson to learn or something just in the eyes of the maker

GEEZE!!! You think Wal Mart quilts are perfect?? YUCK!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    X2!!! lol

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    I agree!

I get what he means by "perfect wal-mart quilt" as in perfect...because it's done in production.

There is no such thing as perfect. The most beautiful things have some flaw. We just have to do our best and take pride in what we do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I get what he means by "perfect wal-mart quilt" as in perfect...because it's done in production.
    That is exactly what I meant. All done on a production line.

Of course the quilts are not perfect...what is? Unless made by God there are faults.

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    That is exactly what I meant. All done on a production line.
    Even though Walmart quilts are done on a production line they're still made by women sitting at sewing machines. They're about as imperfect as you can get.

i do not think all people are being too hard when they say "its not perfect".

many people want to improve their skills with each quilt so they study it and find the weak points so they know where they need work and more practice.

not everyone is negative when they say these things - it could just be a learning critique of their work.

My definition of a perfect quilt - FINISHED.

I strive for excellence, not perfection. I don't think perfection is attainable for there is always room for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by janb
    Of course the quilts are not perfect...what is? Unless made by God there are faults.
    AMEN

:thumbup:

That's not true either. Nothing in nature is perfect either. Everything has flaws of one kind or another.

what is funny about this is, i think often, "i made it and i am focusing on the flaws", you make it and i am focusing in the beauty, i do think there is some truth in that, in a way it is like cooking, it doesn't look exactly like the picture in the cookbook, so a person feels they have failed, when it tastes darn good, and thats what matters, lol

jan

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
    WELL SAID!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasquilter123
    Good definition! :P

Power Poster
    And all this time I've been thinking that most humans have faults AND they were created by God.

Theres always room for improvement and if start to think theres no way I could improve then I see a problem. Because nothing is perfect me nor the quilt. But I do understand what your saying (i think). We all human, we're all quilters, so it doesn't need to be said, because as adults we understand its a given "its not perfect" I think what some of us really mean to say is " I wish it were a little better and I can show you every flaw but I took this picture so you couldn't see the really big mistakes, so dont look to hard, but I would love it if you told me I did good!" Its not perfect is just so much easier.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    And all this time I've been thinking that most humans have faults AND they were created by God.
    Didn't know god is a quilter too. Maybe she does the quilting between cheering on the NASCAR racers and protecting the soldiers, ey?

Power Poster
    To quote my Mom - again:

"Perfection is impossible.
    Excellence is attainable."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Absolutely! Quilts are like anything else. If you make it, you are your worst critic. I have done a little cake decorating. I don't sell anything b/c I never thought they were good enough. I then really looked at the bakery cakes--even those expensive wedding cakes--and realized what could be sold as fine or even very expensive wasn't any better than some of what I have done.

The same is true of quilts. They are made from the heart. They are gifts of Love. Perhaps b/c they are gifts of love we wish they were perfect. We just need to accept that perfection is not a reality. Just enjoy the hobby and learn as you go....

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I see so many posts here where people post pictures of beautiful quilts and then say 'it's not perfect'. I feel people are too hard on themselves, if it was perfect it would not look handmade. If you want a perfect quilt, buy one at Walmart that is made in China. If your quilt is as beautiful as is looks in the picture, then it is perfect in my book. Give yourself the credit you deserve.
    To quote Thomas Keller: "Its not about perfection, its about the quest for perfection. That's the motivating thing. Because you realize once you think it's perfect, it's no longer perfect. It can't be. I think it's perfect and therefore its not."

I think people are too critical of themselves sometimes. But I've seen a couple professional quilters with very specific techniques that they truely believe is the only way to get a good looking quilt...and they come up as a bit snooty and a real know-it-all and act like the rest of us have no clue what we're doing. I'd much rather have the humble quilter who does notice the imperfections in an otherwise great looking quilt than the overly perfectionist quilter who thinks they can't make mistakes.

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Didn't know god is a quilter too. Maybe she does the quilting between cheering on the NASCAR racers and protecting the soldiers, ey?
    Mad!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast