Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
perfecting pinwheel points >

perfecting pinwheel points

perfecting pinwheel points

Old 06-27-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

if you are making them out of quarter square triangles. I pin the centers into a cork board aligning the centers. Then more the two pieces until the seams line up and then put a pin on each side of the center pin. Try it. It works.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:31 AM
KR

One of the best tools I've found I learn about here on the QBoard.....fork pins. Two-pronged pins that hold both sides of a seam in place at the same time. I haven't mastered poking a pin through the points....seems like no matter how precise I think I'm being, it always goes in at an angle. The fork pins work for me.....plus patience and practice!! Some LQSs have them. Also Connecting Threads and probably other online places as well. Kind of pricey little things, but I don't mind if it works. Good luck!
Karen
Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Thank everyone for their ideas. But I also question what difference cutting on the straight of grain makes? I'm not sure I did that every time.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Power Poster

glue the seams first right were you want them and then sew. Use Elmers school glue or fabric basting glue. Just use tiny drops and then press to set. It will wash out.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
glue the seams first right were you want them and then sew. Use Elmers school glue or fabric basting glue. Just use tiny drops and then press to set. It will wash out.
make them bigger than needed, trim them down to the right size, press seams so you have all locking seams when putting them together and glue those babies in place! Thats what I do! Takes a little bit longer but in the long run its less stress which is never a bad thing.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Glue? An new idea for me. I'm going to sound dumb, but I'm gluing the right outside edge of the fabric to the left outside edge, and outside the quarter seam allowance. Right?
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
make them bigger than needed, trim them down to the right size, press seams so you have all locking seams when putting them together and glue those babies in place! Thats what I do! Takes a little bit longer but in the long run its less stress which is never a bad thing.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Hi, if I have got it right the link below should take you to the Missourri patchwork Pinwheel tutorial...this is definatly the easiest way to cut a pinwheel, but there are somethings that I think are real important

1. You have be really accurate with your cutting
2. Make sure your seams are exact
3. Cut the diagonals exact
4. Press seams to set...this seems to stop the squares going wonky but I dont know why...
5. Place the light side on the ironing board facing you and press the seem to the darker side.

It is important just to press and not iron otherwise that will distort it.

Then follow how they sew it in the tutorial and you should get really good points.

Mine were really lowsy until I watched that tutorial ( courtesy of someone else posting it on the board)

I think the important thing with pinwheels is accuracy.

I have just sandwiched the pinwheel baby quilt I made on the weekend....when I have quilted it I'll put a picture on the board

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 AM

What a wealth of information; feeling more confident. I just joined this board and so glad I did. Everyone is super nice and helpful. I feel I've got a team of experts . Thanks. E
Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Oooops reading this back relised forgot to add the link....watch this and you will get some ideas about getting those points perfect...good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E

if it doesn't work just type in missourri quilt pinwheels into search and you should get the link
Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

I just glue somewhere in the seam allowance that makes the points meet. It may mean I sew a 1/8 seam or 1/4 seam.
Where ever I need to sew to make the points match. If all my blocks are off that much, then I'm doing something wrong from the start. A few are no problem to make work using different seam allowance.