Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Permanent Markers and Alcohol Art quilts

Blog Entries

Permanent Markers and Alcohol Art quilts

I came up on a tutorial on how to make these gorgeous scarves made from marking on them with markers and then spraying them with rubbing alcohol to make the colors bleed. They were beautiful! Has anyone tried this technique? And, what did you think about its results? I can think of endless possibilities for this.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    I came up on a tutorial on how to make these gorgeous scarves made from marking on them with markers and then spraying them with rubbing alcohol to make the colors bleed. They were beautiful! Has anyone tried this technique? And, what did you think about its results? I can think of endless possibilities for this.
    I have not, but I'm interested!

I would really like to see the tute! Been interested in these scarves for years.

TIA,

delma

interesting idea! i watched a "sewing with nancy" the other day and she had a guest on there who made them by laying silk on top of flowers and herbs and pounding the silk with a ball peen hammer. then she sprayed? it with i think copper? she mentioned anti perspirant and put it in a zip lock bag to dry for a few days. i think they are 'set' by hot ironing, rinsing, and then hot ironing them dry from the rinse. i have it on tape but im sure any of you can find it on the web if you are interested. yours seems a bit easier on the arm than pounding with a hammer! one was made with coffee and blueberries, it was gorgeous. all i could think of is ouch how expensive is silk?????
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

On my list of things to do!

Blog Entries
    Could you please share the tut with us?

Blog Entries
    Suzanne McNeill teaches this technique. You can find her blog at this address http://blog.suzannemcneill.com/2012/...l-retreat.aspx When I asked her where I could learn the techniwue she said "go to the Design Originals channel on youtube for several videos on dyeing fabric. Our channel is Designoriginals123, the best video for this process is "How to dye fabric with permanent markers."
    Hope you all go there and enjoy the great tutes!
    Mrs B There is nothing that can't be improved with gold glitter

My daughter and her children did a bunch of squares like that-someday it will all be in a quilt.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
    interesting idea! i watched a "sewing with nancy" the other day and she had a guest on there who made them by laying silk on top of flowers and herbs and pounding the silk with a ball peen hammer. then she sprayed? it with i think copper? she mentioned anti perspirant and put it in a zip lock bag to dry for a few days. i think they are 'set' by hot ironing, rinsing, and then hot ironing them dry from the rinse. i have it on tape but im sure any of you can find it on the web if you are interested. yours seems a bit easier on the arm than pounding with a hammer! one was made with coffee and blueberries, it was gorgeous. all i could think of is ouch how expensive is silk?????
    Flower pounding is not permanent color. It is not dyeing and the color generally fades when exposed to light, changes as a result of the pounding, washes out quickly, or all three. Heat setting may increase the lifespan of your work, but it will not make it washable.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sassey View Post
    Could you please share the tut with us?

I'll be glad to share it with you. I've just got to find it again. Basicly all you do is take the regular makers that you buy at Walmart and make designs on the fabric. Even just X's and O's will do. then you spray them with rubbing achohol and the colors spread. Then you let it dry. They recommend laying it on a piece of freezer paper so your colors don't bleed onto anything underneath. I'm going to try to make a tutorial and post it on the board.
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!