Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pet hair on fabric and quilts >

Pet hair on fabric and quilts

Pet hair on fabric and quilts

Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

I have three (3) lil pomeranians and I solved the hair problem by taking them to the groomer every three months or so. No more doggy hair in my home. I know this can expensive but try bartering with the owner of the grooming salon.

Cut up squares of quilts you don't like then sew the edges so they don't ravel much or bind them. These squares will fit in the pet holding cages for the dogs or cats to sit or lay on while waiting to be groomed or waiting for you to pick your pets up.

. I am guessing the squares will be 3' by 2' (measure the cages). Your animals will feel at home in the cage if they are laying on a quilt square you made.

Barter a completed quilt you don't like but the owner might love it in exchange for grooming your pets.

I hope this idea works for some of you with the animal hair problem. Barter Away!!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

The Furminator has very small metal combs so you don't want to put a lot of pressure on the brush when brushing. My cat likes a firm brushing and my dog likes likes a gentle brushing. Some dogs have hair not fur so they don't shed enough to know about. My dog was a rescue mutt so she sheds like crazy.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:51 AM

This is a trick I've used for years. Get a pair of the rubber gloves(from the Dollar Store) and sweep across the fabric, sofa etc. and it will gather it up as you sweep. I have a dog that sheds and keep a pair in the car as well. I agree that the furminators work to keep the shedding down also.Good luck.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM

Go to Flylady.com and check out her Rubba Scrubba.

I have a LONG haired white Persian who is a timid darling, found
in a rain storm as a baby! I do love her but when she strolls through
the house gently waving her tail, I can see a drifting cloud of white hairs
following her like thin clouds!!!! And she HATEs to be brushed, will allow
limited time with the Rubba Scrubba, which works nicely. On her AND
furniture.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 AM

Furminator is great and I got mine from a store not a vet office so it was cheaper there. All of my dogs love it but the shepherd hates having her pants groomed. Husky not real keen on his pants being groomed either but he's a walking fur bomb so he gets groomed frequently as he sheds constantly. Love my furbabies though. Cats not too thrilled with it and my quilt inspector hides when he sees it come out but I'm sure it would work on him if he'd stay atround long enough.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Try putting on a pair of disposable rubber gloves and lightly running your hand over the top of the fabric. rolls it up like magic.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:01 PM

I use Furfighter. It is made by Scotch and I get mine from Walmart. It's located where the brooms are. Works great!!It's kinda like a lint roller but all the hair stays in a little compartment.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by lorli
Does anyone have any techniques for getting rid of this? I have a fluffy black cat and everything is covered with a grey haze from his fur. I also have two spaniels who shed their lighter colored fur onto my dark fabrics!

Worst of all is my hand-dyed wool that I am using to make a large appliqued wall hanging. It is a magnet for pet hair, and when I took it to a friend's house to work on, she had to take an allergy pill.

Are there any methods? I have seen ads for something you can put into the dryer. What about damp towels?

If you put on rubber gloves and "brush" across the fabric , the pet hair will roll up as you go along and then you can dispose of it. Worked wonders for me and I have had a lot of pets. (wish I still had them it would be worth the pet hair )
Old 02-09-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I have been looking for one of those lint rollers that does not use the sticky stuff but washed off under the faucet. Have not found one yet..........
I bought one of those at the State Fair this year! Got a 3 piece set and we just love them...I think there is a web site for them but I can't remember what they are called. Can you Google it?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 PM

I do pretty good with Bounce fabric softener sheets in the dryer. Just gave my cat away due to daughter's severe allergy.