Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with pet hair, please!

Blog Entries
    I have a nice quilt that I just finished putting the binding on and it has lots of pet hair from a beautiful golden retreiver. It looks so much nicer on her than my quilt. Anyway, she is not my dog, but I love her, and I need to remove the hair from my quilt. The quilt is sashed in black kona cotton. I have put it in the dryer on fluff and it helped a little. I do have the sticky rollers if I have to resort to that and use bunches and bunches of sheets. Any other suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the Pledge Fabric Sweeper? I recently bought one to "de-fur" my furniture and it worked well...a little expensive for something disposable, though.

I think the lint rollers work the best on black. I have another type of lint remover (that looks kind of like a brush) but it's not as effective. (I have two dogs and wear a lot of black!!)

My first resort is always rubber gloves. They're the best on upholstery and really good on fabric. My backup plan is either a lint roller or any tape I have around rolled inside out around my hand.

Another thing that works like the lint rollers is tape. Any kind will work. Mailing tape is wide and might be the cheapest for the amount of tape being used. Also,if there is a lot, a clean rubber shoe sole (or rubber glove, as mamagus suggests) will gather the fur into a bunch, which can be picked off, and then use the tape on the rest.

Put on latex (or vinyl gloves) and wet your hands a little and start rubbing! Works for me! And I have a S-H-E LTIE. The first three letters stands for Sheds Hair Everywhere!

Blog Entries
    I used to use the sticky adhesive lint rollers to remove cat and dog hair. I used the ones from the dollar store, so they were pretty inexpensive. Now I have a poodle, so it is much less of a problem.

Blog Entries
    I have read that you can use old drier sheets to picks up hair. I have never tried it. I do not have pets. :?

I either use tape, or a sticky lint roller!

Lint Rollers get my vote...I swear by them (I have 4 cats who love to inspect quilts and fabric)

Lint rollers work well, as does any good tape rolled up. Never heard of the trick with the rubber gloves - will have to try that next. I have 3 siberian huskies and boy do they shed!!!

Blog Entries
    I am going to try the gloves and roller tomorrow. Thanks for all the tips.

Wiping it with a damp wash cloth may help. NOT WEt, just damp.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    Have you tried the Pledge Fabric Sweeper? I recently bought one to "de-fur" my furniture and it worked well...a little expensive for something disposable, though.
    Actually you can reuse them. Just take the rollers out of the unit and remove the hair and replace them and use again and again. :thumbup:

Having two Saint Bernards , I am more than familiar with your problem. The best most complete is the sticky tape roller. I always just figure to have a full roll on hand to use at the end to de- fur the quilt.
    In a pinch I have used a damp cloth, but it is not as complete as the sticky tape roller. I keep mine on the ironing board for fe-fuzzing as I go sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by laureneberhard
    Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    Actually you can reuse them. Just take the rollers out of the unit and remove the hair and replace them and use again and again. :thumbup:
    I find that those guys don't deposit Finn's hair inside of the rollers. The hair just matts up in a stringy hair ball and I take the fur off the rollers. I figure mine will last until the plastic gives out around the rollers.

I'm doing a quilt at the mo with black backing and have decided never again! I use tape or lint rollers.

Blog Entries
    The only thing that works with DB's golden is the sticky tape... Love his puppy, but not all of that fine soft fuzzy fur LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I have a nice quilt that I just finished putting the binding on and it has lots of pet hair from a beautiful golden retreiver. It looks so much nicer on her than my quilt. Anyway, she is not my dog, but I love her, and I need to remove the hair from my quilt. The quilt is sashed in black kona cotton. I have put it in the dryer on fluff and it helped a little. I do have the sticky rollers if I have to resort to that and use bunches and bunches of sheets. Any other suggestions?
    A damp sponge or wash cloth moved over the area will remove the pet hair

Blog Entries
    Believe it or not.... but masking tape or electrical tape rolled backwards (sticky side out) on your hand works really well. My mother used to use it on her clothes. It is inexpensive too.

They did a test in Consumer's Report on the Pledge thing and they said you can pop out one of the rollers and empty it out and put the roller back in and use again. Just a nice hint. Dolores

Blog Entries
    I vacuum quilts that have pet hair on them. The small brush attachment works great. I bought a good hand held vacuum to keep in my sewing room.

I have a rubber bristled hand brush which works very well on upholstery and the quilt that my cats and I are in dispute over ownership. Doesn't do too well on clothes though.

I have three Pekes and a lot of hair. I found at WalMart a Scotch Fur Fighter which I have found works much better than the rollers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast