Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help with pet hair, please!

Did you put a softener sheet in the dryer when you fluffed it? I find that gets it so much better than just running it thru the dryer.

Blog Entries
    Get a spray bottle, fill it half full with downey fabric softener, and then fill to the top with water. Spray a light mist, vacuum, and poof. Works like a charm

You can find those sticky rollers really cheap at times. Lots of times target has them in the dollar bins. I also bought some last week at rite aid for a dollar last week.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    I have a nice quilt that I just finished putting the binding on and it has lots of pet hair from a beautiful golden retreiver. It looks so much nicer on her than my quilt. Anyway, she is not my dog, but I love her, and I need to remove the hair from my quilt. The quilt is sashed in black kona cotton. I have put it in the dryer on fluff and it helped a little. I do have the sticky rollers if I have to resort to that and use bunches and bunches of sheets. Any other suggestions?
    I have made myself a quilt block that says "No quilt is complete without a few pet hairs" with paw prints circling the words.

:D Someday I will include that in a quilt. As for removing pet hair, you might try a vacuum, followed by sticky roller.

Sometimes I wrap packing tape around my hand and just dab at things that way. The packing tape picks up the hair. When it gets too much and stops sticking, I rotate it around and use the other side (back of my hand). If there is a lot of hair, you might have to keep using more tape.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    Have you tried the Pledge Fabric Sweeper? I recently bought one to "de-fur" my furniture and it worked well...a little expensive for something disposable, though.
    I have three pomeranians, very hair little buggers. When I first saw the commercial for the Pledge Fabric Sweeper, I couldn't wait to get one. I now have one in the living room and one in my bedroom. I've even used it on my throw rug under my dining room table. It works great, and even though it's disposable. It holds a heck of a lot of hair.

put on your rubber gloves, get them damp, rub the hair off, repeat. you can do he same thing with a damp rag, but you have to change out the rags, with the gloves you only need rinse the hair off.

Quote Originally Posted by smagruder
    Believe it or not.... but masking tape or electrical tape rolled backwards (sticky side out) on your hand works really well. My mother used to use it on her clothes. It is inexpensive too.
    I use masking take also but a little differently. I roll it back on itself with the sticky side out but I leave it on the roll instead of little strips over my hand. That way I can put my hand in the center hole and just roll it all over the place. When I clean my design wall I use both hands on either side and just whiz along. I buy the economy packages from Home Depot or Lowes of the 2" wide tape.

I have a duck tolling retriever who sheds as much as a golden does. I have had great luck with those Pledge Fabric sweepers. They don't have to be disposable though. You can carefully pop them open, remove the gigantic dust bunny of dog hair, and then snap them shut again. Examine the ends of the rollers carefully. One end's diameter is larger than the other. Turn the sweeper so the fuzzy rollers are facing you and the plastic dome is down away from you. You are going to work at the smaller end of either one of the rollers. Also notice that the end of the roller is partly rounded and then there is a "slot" like opening. Turn the roller so the slot is toward you, exposed. Gently stick a smallish screwdriver into that slot and press toward the roller. It should pop free. Reach in and pull out the hair and fuzz, and then pop the roller back into position. You can do this over and over until you finally push too hard and snap the roller or the tab.

I use a rubber glove. Put your hand in the glove.Make the fabric or quilt tight and scrape the glove along the quilt with your hand using the edge and the flat part. After you have gotten most of the hair up use the rollers for what is left.

Saw an article on TV yesterday & the "home made" suggestion was a pair of rubber gloves with the outside washed in detergent then wiped across the article
    Good Luck

i have not tried this, but a friend says it works, get the "Press and Seal" that is like Saran wrap and press it down on the fabric and she ways when you remove it the pet hairs come with it

Blog Entries
    rubber gloves will roll the hair along into a big bunch and then you can just discard it. HOORAY !

I get the majority of cat hair off with a wet (well squeezed out) paper towel and then finish with the sticky roller.

Blog Entries
    I do not have pets, but, when I get a customer quilt that has pet hair I use scraps of batting, works pretty good to remove it. That and the lint roller...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat7925
    Did you put a softener sheet in the dryer when you fluffed it? I find that gets it so much better than just running it thru the dryer.
    No, I didn't think of it. I will do that, too.

Between the dryer, glove, and sticky roller sheets, it is looking so much better.

Everyone has been so helpful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    i have not tried this, but a friend says it works, get the "Press and Seal" that is like Saran wrap and press it down on the fabric and she ways when you remove it the pet hairs come with it
    Well, that is an idea that I would never have thought of. That would be worth a try, too. Thanks.

A friend, who does long arm quilting, uses press and seal to trace patterns on and then quilts through it. She uses lots and lots of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Quote Originally Posted by BRenea
    Have you tried the Pledge Fabric Sweeper? I recently bought one to "de-fur" my furniture and it worked well...a little expensive for something disposable, though.
    I have three pomeranians, very hair little buggers. When I first saw the commercial for the Pledge Fabric Sweeper, I couldn't wait to get one. I now have one in the living room and one in my bedroom. I've even used it on my throw rug under my dining room table. It works great, and even though it's disposable. It holds a heck of a lot of hair.
    Several people have commented on the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. I will have to check on this at WM.

My granddogs are both Shiz tzus (spelling?) and I am surprised at how little they shed. A couple of times a year their undercoats get really matted, if you don't keep them brushed well.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am so glad that I posted this. Tomorrow I am going to take the quilt outside and check out my progress. :)

My best conclusion would be the lint roller.

Blog Entries
    I have a nice quilt that I just finished putting the binding on and it has lots of pet hair from a beautiful golden retreiver. It looks so much nicer on her than my quilt. Anyway, she is not my dog, but I love her, and I need to remove the hair from my quilt. The quilt is sashed in black kona cotton. I have put it in the dryer on fluff and it helped a little. I do have the sticky rollers if I have to resort to that and use bunches and bunches of sheets. Any other suggestions?
    I started with the sticky rollers, then got tired of that mess, and looked around for something else that might work. I found the answer under the sink. You have all seen those little iron shaped scrub brushes they sell at most dollar stores? I use my new one to de-fur everything now. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, DH, and long hair. From desperation came the answer. Hope this helps. Brush in one direction.

Power Poster
    lint roller or the wide clear packaging tape you put around your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Having two Saint Bernards , I am more than familiar with your problem. The best most complete is the sticky tape roller. I always just figure to have a full roll on hand to use at the end to de- fur the quilt.
    In a pinch I have used a damp cloth, but it is not as complete as the sticky tape roller. I keep mine on the ironing board for fe-fuzzing as I go sometimes.
    You could also start with the dogs. We recently got a Furminator on eBay, they run about $15 as opposed to $65 asked by some vets. They work great. We have a Lab & a Basset. It is amazing the amount of hair a few strokes pull out of them.

https://www.buymrsticky.com/?SRC=roller]https://www.buymrsticky.com/?SRC=roller[/url] - I bought one of these at an in-store promotion at Fred Meyer (Kroger) and so far it's amazing. I pick up snicks and threads (don't have a pet) and just rinse it off with water.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When I first read your title I was all excited because I have lots of pet hair I could send you. But, I see you already have enough. Good luck!

Put a disposable latex glove on your hand and lightly wipe over the areas where there is hair. It will roll up in a ball very easily and just pick that off. Works great

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast