Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

My four cats love to sleep in our bed on the quilts. I have a brush that I use to remove the fur inbetween washings which is a big help. They don't really do much to the quilt other than leaving their fur on it! Anything in this house is fair game for the cats and we know it
    Heather

My dogs are not allowed on the furniture but the cats are. This helps keep the cats in the right pecking order at our house. The dogs know to leave 'em alone. All of our quilts need to be put in the dryer (dry) to kill the dander & get some of the cat hair off. I then use a lint roller to get the rest of the cat hair off. One of our cats has decided that the youngest dog is worthy of her attention sometimes. Here she is loving on the dog.
    Name:  Annie & Blue.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  55.3 KB
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Sweet picture!!

Power Poster
    We also have a big lab that sleeps with us. I put an old sheet on top of the quilt so when he comes in from outside their isn't dirt or whatever on it. Unfortunately he sheds something terrible so each week when I strip the bed I put the quilt in the dryer for a few minutes to take off most of the hair.

If you keep the dog's nails short, it is generally a non-problem. If you have a 'digger' dog, I would not use flannel for the top, but otherwise, go for it. A quilted quilt will last longer, I'm told, but most of my quilt giftees with dogs had tied quilts and didn't have a problem. I use Cascade 220 wool yarn to tie quilts as it felts nicely and doggy doesn't pull it out (most of the time).

I probably wouldn't make an 'heirloom' quilt. This is the " target="_blank" rel="nofollow">quilt I made for my sister and her dog. Her dog was not a digger, but played on it a lot for several years before she passed away. Now 4.5 years later (and shared with 5 cats), it has not yet even needed repair. My point is that you don't have to feel restricted to only doing large pieces. Most of these squares were 2.5 inch finished. This particular quilt was tied and has a Snuggle Flannel (Joann's) back.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 12-30-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My dog helps me sew also. He lays in front of me in my sewing room, guarding me. If the mail lady or UPS shows up, he barks to let me know as I can't hear anything from my sewing room. If I have a quilt on the floor, it's his. He likes my sewing room. He's very careful in there. No romping around or anything. Only place he behaves. I like that he guards me. I feel very safe in my room.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My sister gave her step-daughter a quilt for Christmas years ago and the step-daughter put it in the outside dog house. That was the only quilt my daughter made for her step-daughter. I couldn't believe someone would put a homemade quilt in a dirty, muddy dog house. I felt so sorry for my sister. She died in 2003. She was so upset that Heidi cared so little for her quilt. I was shocked also.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I have three poodles and I DO have older quilts on my bed so I won't stress about them taking one of the "good" ones for their own. If I happen to put a good one on, I add another older one to the top of it so they still don't give me anything to worry about.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I agree that a dog lying on a quilt will not generally hurt it, just leave behind dog hair and smell, so the quilt will have to be washed more often, so keep that in mind. I bought a very expensive quilt that was hand quilted and trained the dog to sleep in his own bed before putting it on our bed. I didn't sleep well with the dog and DH wasn't about to force the change, so I did in order to use the quilt -- and get some sleep! lol. I have another quilt that has been shared with the dogs for years and washed to death with no problems.
    Nancy

I gave up long ago on the notion of keeping anything away from my pets. They sleep with me, eat with me and are the best friends I've ever had. As much as all the fur is sometimes annoying, every rose has it's thorns. I'm fortunate that they allow me to live here. LOL!
    Life has given me so much more than scraps, but I make quilts anyway!
    http://www.wickedcool.etsy.com

Tink sleeps in a queen size bed...and allows me to join her. She doesn't usually do anything to damage it, unless she decides that the bed needs to be plumped and fluffed to her needs.

She usually doesn't stink, due to baths about every other week. So the quilt doesn't need washing as often.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Quote Originally Posted by fixfido View Post
    I gave up long ago on the notion of keeping anything away from my pets. They sleep with me, eat with me and are the best friends I've ever had. As much as all the fur is sometimes annoying, every rose has it's thorns. I'm fortunate that they allow me to live here. LOL!
    +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
    Every day, I find it harder to live up to my blue china.

RST
    Blog Entries
    Our big goofy lab and two long hair cats sleep on every quilt in the house. They hold up just fine. The way I see it, the quilts are made to be used and loved, washing frequently just helps to age them, and if they wear out, then I am justified in making more.

I agree that keeping the pet nails trimmed is helpful. And we brush/bathe/groom our pets frequently to minimize the need to wash the bedding constantly.

RST

Labs were too big to sleep w/us but did nap during the day on our bed. We put a polar fleece blanket on top of our quilt and then an old sheet on top of that. Helped w/their hair and "skin dirt" from going into our bedding. When it was time for the dogs to get off, we'd pull the sheet to the edge of the bed for them to slide to the floor...oh the growling!
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

My sister and I were given quilts my aunt made years ago. Her's suffered a little pet damage because her dog accidentally chewed a corner of it while it was hanging over the edge of the couch and emma was chewing on a bone. Emma had no idea she was catching the quilt...she lost the corner of an afghan the same way. My quilt is not falling appart from years of use and washings, but no pet damage per-se. I don't have dogs, but have had cats for over 15 years (6 of them now) and they make sure the quilts don't run away while I'm off at work

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have 3-5 dogs here at all times...I keep the door closed...OR I do not put a good quilt on the bed...toe nails, are hard on any quilt!

I put my quilts in the dryer on air only to clean them up. Does not hurt them and gets rid of hair.

My best quilt is hung on the wall of the bedroom as we have the dogs on the bed with us too
    Shannon

At least all your pets sleep ON TOP of the quilts. Mine love to sleep in between the sheets with DH and I. The Yorkie is always at our feet. My female Toy Poodle is in-between DH and I and my other Toy Poodle (male) sleeps right next to me like we are "spooning". He's a mommas boy and I spoil him like crazy. He was my first fur kid so he gets what ever he wants. The sofa is their spot during the day, all day. The quilts get dirty but go straight to the wash.

We have a 5 lb Yorkie who sleeps on our bed every night. Yorkie's don't shed so dog hair is no problem. He also has a lap quilt that he sleeps on during the day which is on our couch. Guess it depends on the dog.

Blog Entries

Pets and Quilts

I have three dogs on our bed and most of the time three cats as well, my quilts seem to fair just fine. I just have to wash them more often than most, but if the material is good, I can not see where that is a problem either. Good luck and thank you for being an animal lover also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    I don't know about dogs, but I have enough cat fur that my kids think I can use it for batting! ROFL My cats sleep with us every night and they do play 'pounce on the toes' but that is it, nothing that would harm a quilt other than to cover it in fur.

Gota love the little furry ones
    I was browsing books in the craft section at Barnes and Noble the other day and picked up a book called something like Crafting with Cat Hair. I thought it was a joke until I opened it up and saw photos of how to "harvest" the hair for later use! YUK!

On another note, we have two dogs. The bigger one, a 55 lb. Puggle (half pug half beagle) thinks that every afghan and quilt is HIS. I made a scrappy quilt this summer to use on our porch and when I brought it in he claimed it. It is now folded up in his dog bed. The little one - half chihuahua half crazy-haired terrier - loves to burrow and finds her way under every quilt in the house. We love them, so that's that. The quilts get washed and vacuumed inbetween washings and they hold up just fine.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I like the idea of making them a quilt to lay on at the foot of the bed. My dog has two quilts that are designed like sleeping bags. He's a Boston Terrier and loves to sleep inside blankets. He never leaves the one in front of the wood stove this time of year.
    Make A Good Day!
    Janice P. Roy

Hi to all, About quilts and dogs. I have a quilt I make about 20 some years ago. My dog(small) sleep with his mommy (me). I have only two small repairs. So, I could only put away a really good quilt away
    My dog is the only one loyal to me

I have a 9 year old Lhasa and he rules Oliver who weights 60 lbs! He rules his bed (allows me to sleep in it, not Oliver). But my quilt during the day is covered in "his" spot with a large towel. He knows to stay on the towel during the day and quilt is removed at night. Ok - sometimes he may wander off but if he hears me coming he is fully on the towel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast