Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff 1222 for $25! >

Pfaff 1222 for $25!

Pfaff 1222 for $25!

Old 12-06-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kas View Post
Keep it! It's always nice to have a spare for when your main machine needs to go into the shop. And for $25, it is just unbeatable. Eventually it will probably die and parts are hard to come by, but use it while you can!
I agree with Kas. I used to put off taking my machine in to be serviced because it would mean not having a machine. So I would try to time it so that I was doing other things. Now I can just take any one of them in and now worry. I have a couple extras to sew on!
Old 12-07-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I would definitely keep it. That was a bargain. I have a Brother that I got for free, it's my stand-in when i need to take my Janome 4000 in to be serviced. It has always worked great for me and I think it does better satin stitching than my Janome. I was going to give it to my daughter as she wanted a sewing machine, however, she never took it home with her and I'm certainly not shipping it to Sydney, Australia where she is living now. If you ever watch Bonnie Hunter on You Tube, she has many older machines and considers buying older machines a way to save them, as most of the older machines still run great, many times better than the "plastic-computerized machines now. I remember my Mom trading in her older Singer machine for a new one when I was in grade school (don't ask how long ago that was) and unlike her old one, it was very, very tempermental.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:20 AM

What a good deal!!
I purchased a second machine myself last month from one of my longarm friends (she bought a brand-new Janome, and sold all of her other machines to help pay for it).
Once I got my "new-to-me" machine set up, I took my other one to the shop for some MUCH NEEDED TLC!! Before, I couldn't bear to part with it, as I try to sew a little every day!

And then, I saw a Featherweight on Facebook Marketplace, and bought it... and now I'm "watching" several Featherweights on shopgoodwill.com.
Evidently, I have a new addiction - sewing machines. That's just an addition to my fabric addiction, thread addiction, LA tools addiction, etc.

(sigh) At least I'm not a chain-smoking alcoholic like both of my parents.

None of my addictions will kill me, and when I die, my heirs will be able to sell them. I'm going to write up a "value list" so they will know not to sell everything for $25. Either that, or when I am no longer able to sew, I'll sell them all myself and emigrate to Scotland (visiting or moving to Scotland is the #1 thing on my bucket list).
Old 12-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Keep it. It will sew through heavy material and many layers without skipping stitches!
Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 PM

Thank you to all who answered. Here's the update. I took it to one shop and the dealer told me it would take $275 to fix, he said it was dirty and that's why what the knob was turned to did not correspond to what the machine was doing. He offered to buy it on the spot. "I'll triple your money and give you $75 for it". I said "unfortunately for you I know how much you'll sell it for". He had already told me that it would sell for "hundreds and hundreds of dollars". He said "it's not worth anything to you as it is". I left the shop with my machine to think on it.
Today I took it to the other shop in the area, she told me it was clean and looked like it had been taken care of. Exactly what I thought! It was very clean.
The guy at the first shop just wanted me to give up on it so i'd sell it to him for cheap and he could make a hefty profit.
So for $139.99 plus whatever parts it may need, I'll have a wonderful machine. I will sell my Singer, as someone suggested. I'll let you know how I like it when it's back from the shop. If it needs no parts I will have gotten a Pfaff 1222 for $165, not bad.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:07 PM

Good for you, both for finding it and for not selling it to the first shop owner.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:01 AM

Eugh! don't go to that first shop anymore.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:42 PM

I'm using my Pfaff today, but can't find a foot that is 1/4" for piecing and quilting. I saw a few on amazon but don't know which is the best. Any ideas? Thanks for the comments, I love it already.