Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff 7550:  Programming a seam length >

Pfaff 7550: Programming a seam length

Pfaff 7550: Programming a seam length

Old 11-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Default Pfaff 7550: Programming a seam length

Hi,

I know of the "pat" function that you can use to program a seam length in a Pfaff 7570. However, I have a Pfaff 7550 and that function doesn't appear to be available to me.

Has anyone tried programming a seam length in the Pfaff 7550 and been successful? If so, how did you do it?

I know I need a new machine at some point, but I'm hoping I can still squeeze some functionality out of my existing machine.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2019, 06:31 PM

This was another thread that mentions the same machine you are referencing. Pfaff 7550/7570 Complete reference Guide

Edited to add: When you say seam length, do you really mean stitch length? I've never heard of seam length on a sewing machine.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 11-04-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 AM

I definitely mean seam length. The application would be for Y-seams, so I potentially wouldn't need to draw a dot at every y-corner, of, say, a hexagon. If you start sewing at a quarter inch into the seam seam and then the machine automatically sews a seam of the right length, the machine should theoretically sew to a quarter inch from the end of the fabric and stop. I saw a You Tube of someone doing it on a Janome (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4o8-zQJcnU). Only certain Janome's support it automatically. It can be done on the Pfaff 7570, which is my machine with the embroidery feature. The programmable seam length may be an embroidery feature, I don't know. My 7550 does allow programmed stitch sequences, but I was having trouble getting it to work with straight stitches, so I wanted to know if anyone has done it.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This was another thread that mentions the same machine you are referencing. Pfaff 7550/7570 Complete reference Guide
Someone posted a table of contents that shows "Programming A Seam Length" as one of the options. However, I think it's for an operator's manual for both my machine (7550) and it's embroidering sister (7570). I don't think I have the features in my machine to do it without some programming (if it can be done at all on my machine).
Old 11-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Maybe you have options in a slightly different place than you are looking. Does your machine have any stitch count options? It could be in there.

I do love the quilter foot which has markings/widths side to side and front to back, that's made it a lot easier for my Y-seam type projects. I just have to slow down in time (I'm usually zooming along) and I'm still getting used to what I consider an extra stitch in my system when I use reverse.

My vintage Pfaff belonged to a friend's mother. It is my go-to machine for when I am costuming or sewing fancy fabrics (neither of which I really do any more) but I could never get it to do a quality machine quilting stitch, piecing was fine but not the quilting.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Iceblossom:

Yes, I might be holding too much faith in the programmable seam lengths really being a help. They would require that I start at a pretty precise place so may not be as helpful as just using my markings on my sewing foot to guide me in figuring out where to stop. And no automation means using the old noggin, which is always good, since it seems to be developing more and more rust between brain cells.

The Pfaff 7570's had a clear place to go to program a seam length. With it's sister, my 7550, I suspect if I use the 7550's archaic "Creative Designer," I can program in a stitch length, but oh so cumbersome, when no doubt I have several lengths to program in.

But I will persevere.

The antique Pfaff sounds wonderful to me!
Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 AM

This thread has opened my eyes to a feature that I didn't even know existed. Wonder what else is out there? Good luck TeresaA with finding your answer. Brother has a help line when I need assistance. I found this for Pfaff. http://www.pfaff.com/en-US/Support-and-Updates/Support Maybe???