Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Ambition 1.5 >

Pfaff Ambition 1.5

Pfaff Ambition 1.5

Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Pfaff Ambition 1.5

Well ladies & gents, I need your input. A local dealer (an hour away) has the Pfaff Ambition 1.5 (regular price $1,299) on close-out for $850 w/trade in. New in-the-box. I tested one out a little while there and it seems like a solid machine. Tested a similar model Juki and it was pretty good too, but Pfaff felt a bit more solid. I checked and there isn't a Pfaff dealer any closer. That distance isn't a deal breaker. Closest Brother & Babylock dealers are about 40 minutes.

Do any of you have this particular machine? If so, what are your pros and cons? Is there a big learning curve? I will mainly use it for piecing, making totes, aprons, placemats, crafty things, would like to be able to do some machine appliqué and try FMQ. Will the Ambition take on 4+ layers of denim for those tote handles one day and then go back to piecing the next? I'm currently using a Brother XL-3025.

I've been thinking about getting the Brother PQ 1500 (straight stitch only) machine because it's been called a "workhorse" here and then picking up another inexpensive machine with a few decorative stitches. If the Ambition 1.5 is a very reliable machine then this may be the way to go.

Your thoughts?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:36 PM

I have had my Ambition for a couple of years now with not one problem. Their IDT system can't be beat. It pulls the fabric through straight and true. Just love it.

The regular price is now 1200? I paid about 800 when I got mine two years ago.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM

Thanks, sewmary. Yes, the original list price in the store was $1,299. It's a reputable dealer so I guess that's what they go for. I searched online but couldn't find any prices to compare. Good to know that the IDT system is as good as they claim.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

I found two completed listings for this machine on eBay. One sold for $700 and one for $810:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...mplete=1&rt=nc
Click on the individual listings to find details about whether they were new or used.

I think sewing machines are sold much like cars, in that the manufacturer's suggested retail price is seldom the price at which it is actually sold. They are "suggested" in order to give the dealer room to negotiate down.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 PM

I have the Ambition 1.5. Personally I have to say I like it, not love it. My biggest complaint, it is VERY finicky about stopping in the needle down position, which is very important to me when doing applique and things like that. You press the button to have it be in needle down, half the time when you stop, depending upon how you've pressed the foot pedal, it then goes needle up. I have taken the machine in numerous times and they say that is just the way it is. Also, it seems to stitch one or two extra stitches when you take your foot off the pedal, a problem when you are doing applique. The bobbin case is very difficult to remove for cleaning. I've had one break on me. However, that being said, I absolutely LOVE the fact that you can press the start stop button (very nice when doing FMQ) and just tap the foot pedal when you want to stop. My other machine makes me unplug the foot pedal to use the start stop button, and I have to take my hand off the quilt to press the button to get it to stop. I have a Juki 98-Q as well, which I would really call a workhorse. It's fast, beautiful stitches, substantial machine. It does only do straight stitches but but works like crazy. Remember, this is just my opinion, based upon my experiences with the machine.