Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners???? >

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by fromzstore
thanks pam i will do that i was desperate today and sprayed wd40 on the rachets and so far it is working ok dont know why that worked but i figured it could not hurt if i have more problems i will contact the grace co.
I'm glad you found something that worked. I'll file that one away for future reference in case my ratchets give me trouble on down the road. :D Pam
Old 09-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Okay -- for future reference...I didn't see this remedy posted yet (but may have missed it). Make sure the needle is in correctly! I have a friend that has one and he said he couldn't get one quilt done...took him 3 hours with "futzing" when he discovered he'd put the needle in wrong! I have the GrandQuilter 18.8 and know that when they say the needle goes in with the flat or "cut-out) side of the needle toward the back -- they mean the front is looking at it the opposite way you look at your sewing machine at home. The back of the machine, in this case, is looking down the length of the machine -- usually the machine is going east to west (for lack of an easier way to say it) and on the GrandQuilter -- you need to look from the east TO the west. oh, gosh -- anyone understand this???????????
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Hi Terry, Im Joanne and very new to this site. HOw do yo like your Pfaf grandquilter? Im looking at a used one and so undecided what to do. I know very lil about this machine other thasn what the dealer told me...What r are your views on this machine? Thanx for yoiur help.And if any one else can give me some input a would greatly appeciate it... Joanne a.k.a. Nanajojo713
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 AM

i never got the grand quilter mastered, there was always a problem.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM

I love mine
Old 08-26-2011, 03:38 PM

I have the same problem with the same machine and as far as I have read on the web a lot of people have the same problem. I am very frustrated and ready to thrash it.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM

I haven't read all the posts -but........I used to have one. Here's a few things.

1) backing is rolled too tight -- it didn't like it so tight that something would bounce on it.

2) lint -- LINT LINT LINT -- even though you've cleaned the bobbin area -- use some compressed air and give it a shhhushhh -- more will likely come out. Get some dental floss and floss the upper tension -- lint builds up in there, too!

3) needles --- the correct needle, the needle put in correctly -- the skirt (an indented area on the needle above the eye) needs to be in the back. Make sure the needle is all the way UP into the shaft. The correct needle for the thread is important on some machines, but the Pfaff seemed to take most any thread.

4) Tension -- make sure you can pull the thread out of the needle without it breaking. If it breaks, then the upper tension is too tight. You may have to loosen it, tighten the bobbin....it's a balancing act to get them both working together.

5) Leveling -- my machine was really picky -- if the table wasn't level, then it acted snotty. If your machine rolls away from you or toward you when you let go, then you're not in balance. It should stand still when you're not pushing it around.

6) Thread -- Quite frankly, I find that with both machines I've had/have, the more expensive thread was the touchiest and easiest to break!!! Try some cheap coats and clark and see what happens. We live in a LOW humidity area. If you live in a low humidity area, put the thread in a plastic bag and spritz it with water -- just a pump or two on a spray bottle. Close it up and let it set overnight. Honestly, that DOES make a difference!! The threads will dry out and break much easier.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:11 PM

Thanks Amandasgrandma for all those hints, will try them all (have tried some of them already). It's great to get all these tips. Hopefully I will get it working well and finish my quilt this weekend.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 PM

I also found that if I didn't have the thread coming straight up off the spool, it would break - especially if using a heavier thread (sulky 30/3). Bring your thread guide (the little 'T' thingy that can telescope up or down) so the thread is coming straight up off the spool.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:47 AM

Okay I have been quilting for about 15 minutes with no thread breakage and having so much fun. I hope I am not jinxing myself. So far the advice I have taken: oiled the machine, changed to a Jean 100/16 needle (someone I know with this machine told me to do this), loosened the top tension a little and it seems to be working. It just stopped sewing and I thought "oh no", but it was just the bobbin out of thread. Will post more later if it keeps working after I change the bobbin.
Again, thanks to this wonderful site for all the support. I am having fun again.
CA