Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners???? >

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

pfaff grand quilter 1200 owners????

Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 AM

i've got this bookmrk for content. will it dissapear completly after a while?
i'm a lurker, and looker and reader, mostly. have learned lots.thank you so much.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 AM

i too am having troubles with thread breaking , no quick solution? candy
Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by cnoffs
i too am having troubles with thread breaking , no quick solution? candy
Do you have the Next Generation Frame?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 PM

I have had my GQ for over 3 years and frequently have thread breaking. I spray the thread with liquid silicone and have less problems.
What really fixed the problem was the wire in the upper tension broke and I did not replace it. The machine works fine, tensions are good and no thread breaking.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 PM

I have a Hobby Quilter 1200 and can't keep the tension correct on it is there a special thing to know? Also the little quilting foot has moved so much I have cut a groove in it almost to the metal. I have tried wedging a piece of tissue box in where the spring tension is, but there should be a better way it keeps skinning back my thread and breaking it. Does anyone know what to do?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ruth Ann Ridgeway
I have a Hobby Quilter 1200 and can't keep the tension correct on it is there a special thing to know? Also the little quilting foot has moved so much I have cut a groove in it almost to the metal. I have tried wedging a piece of tissue box in where the spring tension is, but there should be a better way it keeps skinning back my thread and breaking it. Does anyone know what to do?
I've had my Pfaff Grand quilter & Next Generation Frame for close to 3 years & what really helped me to reduce threads breaking was to buy some EMT Electrical conduit & put it over the pipe on the take up rail so that the 2 pieced take up rail becomes a one pieced take up rail. This gets rid of the sag in the middle of the take up rail which causes drag while going through the throat of the sewing machine (and creates tension problems & breaks threads). To do this, you have to pull off both of the ratchet ends, then slide the EMT conduit pipe over the existing take up rail. I drilled a hole through the pipes at each end. I left the EMT conduit short enough that your rachet would fit back on the end but long enough that I could hold a nut inside the pipe with needle nose pliers while I tightened the bolt. This keeps the outer conduit pipe fastened to the inner take up rail. This prevents the take up rail from sagging in the middle & causing extra tension that was breaking the top thread. It's especially helpful on the larger, heavier quilts. I used heavy black duct tape to secure my leaders onto the new EMT take up rail. Everything is working better than it ever has. Also it is helpful to clean the tracks & regulator encoder wheels for every so often so the encoder wheels turn properly or it will create tension & break threads. I try not to touch the tracks but I catch myself doing it occasionally anyway. So I just keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol & use selvage pieces of my cotton batting to clean the tracks & wheels. I'm finally happy with my set up!! Hope this helps others experiencing the same issues with the top thread breaking & top thread tension problems. :D
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM

Thank you very much for your speedy response. I will try as soon as I can to get this remedied trying your method. Sincere Thanks, RuthAnn
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Ann Ridgeway
Thank you very much for your speedy response. I will try as soon as I can to get this remedied trying your method. Sincere Thanks, RuthAnn
You are very welcome!! I know how frustrating it is!! :-D
Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM

thanks, the bottom is doing frustrating loops, and as if that weren't enough the stupid thing skips great long spaces then reconnects only to skip again. I just did a quilt where after the initial flubbing was over with. (Because it has to do that with every one in one place or another) It went well. Now it went well then the last half of the quilt I have had to cut out stitches twice to what I put in and leave. It isn't very much fun. I even marked my settings so I wouldn't get them off if I bumped them and changed to the needle package that came with the machine and machine quilting thread as recommended the whole shebang. It still isn't fun.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 PM

Ruth Ann check the tension on top, the wheel lowers and raises your foot, I end up with loopies when I forget to put down presser foot, even though sometimes will look like it's down. If its on a frame where you reach back to hit the thread cut, found myself spinning the front tension wheel with my arm, changing the tension, have also learned some thread seems to get hooked on the bottom of the spool and has caused thread breakage.
Good Luck !!