Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff tie off stitch? >

Pfaff tie off stitch?

Pfaff tie off stitch?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
One of my machines will remember the tie off each time, the other machine I have to push the button each time.
This machine also has an "immediate tie off" button that I can push each time, but I wanted to use the programmed one that will do it each time until I turn it off.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by max's grandma
You have to press the reverse button and then it wil tie off and then when you start again it will tie. Either that or you have a button to start the same stitch over again press that. Hope this is plain as mud, maybe it will help.
I'm not sure what you mean. If it's programmed to tie off at the beginning of each seam, how does the backstitch button activate it?
The manual doesn't mention that.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

Good luck! My machine is with the doctor right now, so I can't play with it to see what it does...
Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Power Poster

The machine probably assumes that there will be some sewing done between tie off stitches. First you tie off, then you sew, then you tie off again. If you don't sew after you tie off, the machine won't "understand" why you want to tie off again right away. The only way to do that is to reset the stitch and start over.

I recently learned in my machine quilting class that I need to pull the bobbin thread to the top before I tie off. The way I can tie off is by setting the stitch length to .4 or .6 mm and taking 5-7 tiny stitches. Then I will sew my pattern in regular stitch length. I finish off with the reduced stitch at the end and trim the threads. It makes a nice clean seam for quilting inside a square or pattern.

My machine has the tie off stitch selector. When I engage it, the back stitch sets the stitch at the end of the stitching. I just love all of my options.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:33 PM
np3
Power Poster

I do the tie off on both ends and it works for me....
Old 10-19-2010, 07:07 PM

On my Viking I can go into the main menu and turn on or off auto fix. When on it fixes at the beginning of each seam. When off I have to manually select the fix button.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Your might try the Pfaff.com website. I have a 7570 and I have to select that function whenever I want it to happen. I'm not sure why the machine would know if I need to tie off otherwise. I am constantly starting and stopping when I work at the machine (not always at the end of a seam) and raising/lowering the presser foot.

I've only used the tie off stitch when sewing garments. I don't use that particular function when I piece because I always am sewing over another seam. Where would you use it when you quilt?

By the way, sewing on a button using your machine is the only way to go. If you have to handsew one it might end up in the terminal "round-to-it" repair pile.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I've only used the tie off stitch when sewing garments. I don't use that particular function when I piece because I always am sewing over another seam. Where would you use it when you quilt?
So far I've only been sewing on a scrap trying to get the **** tie off stitch to work. I thought I could use it sewing the seams on my quilts since I usually do a tack every 12" or so anyway, just in case a thread comes loose it wouldn't be able to unravel the whole seam. A leftover of hand quilting. Every time I stop to readjust the quilt, I wanted it to do a tie off when I start again.
I've pretty much given up on it though. I guess I'll just have to use the "immediate tie off" button that I push each time, but it's a shame this machine has a "programmed tie off" (that I don't have to push each time) and the manual doesn't explain well enough to make it work.