Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: PFaff versus Bernina

Blog Entries

PFaff versus Bernina

I am looking at a new sewing machine with a long neck (10-11 in) and cannot decide between the Pfaff and the Bernina. I would love to hear from owners of long necked machines about the positives of their machines. Thanks.

pjsandusky

Love my Pfaff!!

Power Poster
    ​Love my Bernina 440 but the neck/harp measures 7 and 1/2 to the needle. I think the 820 has a larger harp but it's beyond my budget.

I love my quilt expressions 4.0 pfaff

Blog Entries
    You might want to look at where the specific model is manufactured. I know that only the higher end models of Bernina are still made in Switzerland; the others are made elsewhere. I think new Pfaffs are made in China. This may or may not make a difference to you. I have a Bernina 1230 that I love and will keep on using as long as it (and I!) last. Here is another thread about different machines and where they are made:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...es-t65966.html

I love my Pfaff!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I'm sure both are good machines. I have a Bernina 440. The BSR was the clincher when I bought it. Now I have a longarm, so I don't use the BSR, but it's there if I need it again.

Only the TOL Pfaff and Vikings are made in Sweden.
    The only thing you might want to check is the bobbin. Most Berninas are vertical. The Pfaffs have gone drop in.

I prefer the vertical bobbin - it's easier to deal with. However, Babylock, Brother, Janome users might say just the opposite.

Love my Bernina 830. Berninas had also come out with a 7 series. Check out there website for more info regarding harp space. Whatever machine you pick, just make sure the dealer has a good reputation with their customers. Good luck.

mltquilt

If you are only looking for sewing and quilting (not embroidery) be sure to look at the new Bernina 710. It is affordable for a big machine. I agree with mltquilt about dealer support.
    Since I gain weight reading cookbooks, why can't I lose weight watching a fitness program?

Quote Originally Posted by pjsandusky View Post
    I am looking at a new sewing machine with a long neck (10-11 in) and cannot decide between the Pfaff and the Bernina. I would love to hear from owners of long necked machines about the positives of their machines. Thanks.

pjsandusky
    Hate my Pfaff!

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
    Only the TOL Pfaff and Vikings are made in Sweden.
    The only thing you might want to check is the bobbin. Most Berninas are vertical. The Pfaffs have gone drop in.

I prefer the vertical bobbin - it's easier to deal with. However, Babylock, Brother, Janome users might say just the opposite.

I don't believe this is correct. Pfaff used to be made in Germany, not Sweden. Viking used to be made in Sweden but both Viking and Pfaff merged with Singer to create SVP which are now manufactured in China.

Bernina bought a factory in Thailand to produce some of their lower end machines. The TOL machines are still made in Switzerland.

I own the new 830 and if I could turn back time, I'd buy a longarm instead...
    Last edited by Candace; 04-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Hard to say. Yes, I love my Pfaff because of the IDT - dual feed feature. Both my high end and my mid range machines are great.

Berninas are good too. Though their feet are much more costly for when you want to get different or special feet.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Quote Originally Posted by pjsandusky View Post

pjsandusky
    My suggestion is to sit down and sew on each one then purchase the one you are most comfortable with. I owned a Bernina but was always intimidated by it. I bought it because my friend said it was the best. Fifteen years later I bought a Viking. I love it. It's like buying a car--- when you sit behind the wheel you just know you have to have this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Quilter View Post
    My suggestion is to sit down and sew on each one then purchase the one you are most comfortable with. I owned a Bernina but was always intimidated by it. I bought it because my friend said it was the best. Fifteen years later I bought a Viking. I love it. It's like buying a car--- when you sit behind the wheel you just know you have to have this one.
    Personally I think a sewing machine is even more personal than a car. I have a Janome 6600 and I'm seriously considering trading it for one of the top end Pfaffs. I also have a Pfaff 2030 and I love that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Txsuthrn View Post
    I love my quilt expressions 4.0 pfaff
    Same here. But try both and see what suits you best.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Blog Entries
    I listed for a Bernina because of the knee lift, great machine bad dealer............good thing I wasn't a new sewer..........calla

Love, love my Pfaff
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

I have a Pfaff QE4 and would not buy it again. I have spent hours trying to use it to quilt and no success. The name of machine is Quilt Expressions - why won't it quilt? There are quite a few stories about this machine not working for quilting. I love it for piecing but that's not why I bought it.

Love my Pfaff QE4. Quilts like a dream.

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff QE4. I also have a love/hate relationship with it. Love the IDT, hate the not having a hand lever for raising and lowering foot. I use it to piece with, and apply binding after I'm done quilting on my Voyager 17 and that's all. I also do a lot of PP, but found the my older Brother was best for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
    If you are only looking for sewing and quilting (not embroidery) be sure to look at the new Bernina 710. It is affordable for a big machine. I agree with mltquilt about dealer support.
    Ditto - The new 7 series has I believe a 10" throat, even feed (IDT on the pfaff) and a mega huge bobbin!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyw View Post
    I have a Pfaff QE4 and would not buy it again. I have spent hours trying to use it to quilt and no success. The name of machine is Quilt Expressions - why won't it quilt? There are quite a few stories about this machine not working for quilting. I love it for piecing but that's not why I bought it.
    I also have this machine and it just sits in it's box because this made in China machine is a piece of junk. I bought it because I just loved my older 7550 Pfaff which was made in Germany. Big mistake!!! I can't sell it or trade it in because no dealer wants it and I couldn't in good conscience sell it to a private person.

Blog Entries
    I have the Bernina 830. I think the 830 has 800+ stitches built in so you can do all kinds of decorative sewing. I now love it but use it the way I want to. I don't like the BSR feature, but I do a lot of FMQing on mine and it works great. If a quilt is larger than double size I send it out to a LAQer. I will say it took me awhile to make friends with the machine but now I love it!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

I also love my Bernina 1230, so much that I went on-line and bought a second one so that I have it to take to classes instead of having to pack up the one I use all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    You might want to look at where the specific model is manufactured. I know that only the higher end models of Bernina are still made in Switzerland; the others are made elsewhere. I think new Pfaffs are made in China. This may or may not make a difference to you. I have a Bernina 1230 that I love and will keep on using as long as it (and I!) last. Here is another thread about different machines and where they are made:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...es-t65966.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast