Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 AM

It is so discouraging to see what has happened to my beloved Pfaff's. The Germans that took such skill, love, care & pride in creating these wonderful machines must be absolutely horrified.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:51 AM

Ladies --- JoAnn Fabrics does not sell Viking sewing machines -- they do sell Singers but just in a box on a shelf. If you see Vikings in a JoAnns, they are being sold by a "leased department" that is totally separate from JoAnns. I have worked in both types of these - a Viking leased department in JoAnns and for JoAnns as well for the last 20 years.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:25 AM

Had the same trouble with local Bernina dealer. They wanted the shop to get rid of mat'l and deal only with machines. Nearest dealer is now about 30 miles away.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 AM

Viking top of the line and other models were good machines in time past.I cannot say as of today. Pfaffs were good machines and may still be, but getting repairs on either is a night mare, especially the Pfaffs as something happened to the dealers when the SVP/VSP/VPS got control of the machines and V & P dealerships were removed. I think that any machine company whether it be V/S/P/B or Babylock & Brother should honor the purchase of parts by repairmen who are not dealer connected to repair the sewing machines (top of the line or what not) purchased as a lot of dealers are out of business or have lost (or given up) their dealership and the consumer is the one who has lost because there is no dealership within hundreds of miles to repair. I speak from experience. Also, on the electronic machines when the dealer decides to discontinue a model or make a new model the maker of the machine should be required to be able to furnish the electronic part that is the brain and without the brain you do not have a machine that works. Sure you have a warranty but when the model is discontinued the maker company says "sorry, the brain is no longer available." Sorry that this is so long but getting repairs on the top of the line top of the brand name machines can be long, exhausting and expensive and I think this is true on all brands, just hope mine (I have one of each brand) does not have more problems. missbelle
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 AM

I can see that, for once anyway, it is good to be living in Norway. My Husqvarna Viking was made in Sweden and my dealer has a repairman that comes to the store every Monday to work on machines. They sell primarily this brand but have other brands one can purchase as used models.

Most people in my quilting group have Janomes. I don't like them as much as my little Swedish baby. I have the Sapphire 870 quilt and the area for bunching the quilt roll is probably one of the largest in the industry.

German engineering is going the way of most European countries because the cost of labor is so high the products simply cannot compete with the Chinese (junk :oops:)
Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 AM

Okay, now I REALLY don't know what to do! I have a Pfaff 7570 which I purchased in the '70s. Though I can embroider with it, I have been toying with the idea to buy a Creative 4.0, making the embroidering much easier, and still use it for quilting, regular sewing, etc. Should I throw that idea out the window? A friend says her Viking embroiders well. Bernina dealer is 90 minutes away. Ohhhhh what to do? Any words of wisdom?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:14 AM

I also asked about the Viking section in Joanne and was told that Viking leases (or owns) the section in the Joanne store.[/quote]
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
I also asked about the Viking section in Joanne and was told that Viking leases (or owns) the section in the Joanne store.
[/quote]

I don't really care if Viking leases a space or not in Joanne's. I would never take mastery classes or learn anything at ours. Maybe others' Joannes are set up differently, but we have a new store and the Viking section is right in the middle of the store and has no privacy, whatsoever. People float through there constantly and it's loud. No thanks. I like taking classes in a quiet, private dealership where the teacher is a teacher only and not having to teach me and sell a sewing machine at the same time;>
Old 09-12-2010, 08:23 AM

My machine is a Bernina and the dealership where I bought it is now no longer a dealership. Don't know why. Fortunately (or not), another lqs picked up the warranty. Problem is, when I brought an issue in for repair, there were some "customer service" problems, and in the end I was told they were only covering my warranty "out of the goodness of their hearts!"

I'll take warranty issues there, but anything else I need, I'll go some place else. Kind of shot themselves in the foot, didn't they?
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 AM

All my new machines are Babylock. My dealer sells Phaff also but recently they have started selling Brother again. They did this many years ago. I wonder what is up with that.I am going to ask if they are going to quit selling Phaff. I know a lot of ladies that will be mad. Also my mother told me never to buy Singer as it was all plastic parts.