Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Phaff machines >

Phaff machines

Phaff machines

Old 11-01-2015, 10:01 PM

My sister brought the machine over today but the book turned out to not be in her case, as she expected, so I still don't know how some thing work. How does the walking foot work? Nothing was moving except the lower teeth part( I don't know what to call that) IT seems to be a nice machine though. runs real smoothly and has a good feel about it. I have never used this nice of a machine before, except when I was working on a commercial machine for a short time. I think we will buy it from her. My wife thought it would be more machine than we needed, but we have owned two machines of much lower price and neither sewed well at all. Gale has an art quilting project in mind for the house and thought she could do the design work and pick the fabrics and I could cut and sew the piece. Sounds like fun, I thought. IT could play to both our strengths.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:41 AM

If that machine has the built in walking foot (IDT), you'll soon learn to LOVE it! Don't worry about not seeing it work; if it's engaged (down), it's working. I quilted on an older Pfaff that I bought second hand, and I'll never sew without a built in walking foot again! You won't regret buying a Pfaff. Go for it. Look at completed sales of identical machines on ebay to learn what's a fair price for it. If you don't know how to do that, use the "advanced" search and limit the results to completed sales.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:03 AM

I have an older 2040 triptonic with built in walking foot. I keep it down except for free motion. This was my second Pfaff and I love them. Keep it serviced and it will last your lifetime. Vi
Old 11-02-2015, 06:34 AM

I have the Pfaff 2044 & I love it. I bought it new 13 years ago & have sewn miles on it. The IDT (walking foot) is a little black lever behind the needle that you pull down & forward to lock into place when you want to engage it. The thing I love about their IDT system is you can use different feet with the walking foot. The throat space on the machine is not very large for machine quilting. I do have a second machine with a larger throat space for quilting bigger quilts, but my 2044 is my go to machine for all of my piecing & general sewing. Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:42 AM

I have the Pfaff 2042 and absolutely LOVE it. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. It's a great machine. Have had mine since 2002 with no troubles at all.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:36 AM
KLO

Just an FYI about the IDT: I don't know if this is true on all the Pfaffs or not but I have feet that work with the IDT engaged and some that don't. The ones that do have a little "cut out" space on the back of the foot which is where the IDT fits in when engaged. Just wanted to mention this in case you still don't have the book and try to engage the IDT but find it doesn't fit in. Might just be a wrong foot.

Sounds like you and your wife are going to have fun with the machine and the creating. So great that you got this and helped out your sister at the same time.

edited: Check out this youtube about the IDT. It might just help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijQzDYfHeEs

Last edited by KLO; 11-02-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:54 AM

OMG! When we were playing with a bit yesterday the fabric was hanging up and not feeding. MJ, my sister, noticed that black arm in the down position and said" Oh, this thing is down, I can't remember what it is. We lifted it up for the rest of our test. It just wasn't properly engaged. After you guys comments and looking at that short video. This thing is amazing. I love the walking foot. such a cool design.I may have to take up sewing again.
I went to design school for a while, early seventy's, and used to make western shirts. I even made clothes for my wife early on. It impressed her mom no end that I could sew. She's a seamstress in Hawaii. Back when she started making clothes a Kress was the only department store on Maui. She ran a little shop out of what had been the garage, for years. she's 96 now.
Then I went into furniture design and building. I have a really nice shop in back of our house. Art quilting seems very appealing to me. Way too many things interest me though, and I have done a lot of them but there is only so much time. I just finished remodeling the whole house and we have a door to the attic on the new staircase wall, not in a great place but moving it was a lot of work. Gale wants to do a quilt to hang and hide that door. I like the idea too. We just bought a 1967 Silver Streak travel trailer I'm in the process of rebuilding the whole interior. Our oldest son is an architect, he is doing all the design work and I'm the builder. I was just thinking how a couple nice quilts would look wonderful on the beds. If I'm not working project, I'm pacing. I love a challenge.
anyway, I'm buying the Pfaff. thanks for the comments.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:48 AM

Good Luck.....know that you can download the instruction book if it is lost. Just google it.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM

It sounds like you have made a good decision. Enjoy!

Dina
Old 11-02-2015, 04:58 PM
KLO

And Lewayne, using that walking foot is so much easier than the ones you have to install when you want/need it. It's there for you all the time. You can engage it or disingage it in a second and carry on with you work. No having to stop and change out the foot when you realize that you need one for something you are sewing and forgot to put it on. It's there .... ready and willing to work right away. Plus you can see what you are working on so much easier than the added on ones. Yes, I am sure by now you can tell that I love this feature. Of course, other machines (Bernina I think) have them now too on the newer machines since Pfaff's patent on them has run its course.