Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Photography help needed! This one is a challenge to photograph!

Photography help needed! This one is a challenge to photograph!

I need to photograph my animal shaped quilt so that it looks like an animal shaped quilt and not an animal shape appliqued to a rectangle.
    I've laid them flat and shot from above. You get all the detail, but it looks, well, flat. I'm thinking about draping it over a porch railing or chair. Then you get the dimension and edge, but you lose the detail.
    The photos will be for a website, so I probably should just give it up and hire a professional. But I want to take one last stab at it myself. Any help out the? I've seen some amazing photographs here. How would you shoot these little quilts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think they look great the way you've photographed them.

Shoot it vertically, in natural light, on an overcast day, with no flash, aiming the lens at the center of the piece.

The best quilt photography advice I've ever found is from Holly Knott, a photographer who just happens to be a quilter.
    http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/

There are also lots of product photography articles on Etsy and Handmadeology.
    http://www.handmadeology.com/categor...tography-tips/
    http://www.etsy.com/blog/en/2013/the...e/#photography
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ditto what Charsuewilson said.

Put another object in the photo with the quilt to show scale. Like a ruler or tape measure, (or child if you have one handy). LOL

I agree with placing something in the picture to indicate scale. The other thing that might help would be to place the quilt on a wood floor or carpet with thick pile or a table - something that it couldn't be attached to, to make it clear that it's not appliqued.

Your quilts are so cute!!!

Could you hang it with clothes pins on a line to show the shape of it against something "not solid"?

Then maybe have a child stand next to it to show the scale of the quilt.
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Why not a photo of a happy child cuddled into it?

If you feel the detail is not shown enough, then show a 2nd picture, like what you have posted here. However, there is a bonus in not showing it flat out, as it makes it harder for someone to copy your work! Think about the number of patterns that do this!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

If you feel the detail is not shown enough, then show a 2nd picture, like what you have posted here. However, there is a bonus in not showing it flat out, as it makes it harder for someone to copy your work! Think about the number of patterns that do this!
    I like this idea along with the pictures you have you can see its a quilt, but I agree its hard to determine size so a child cuddling with it next to the other picture will indicate how large the item is because it could be the size of a mug rug or a quilt but I wouldn't know because you could be zooming in on it
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I like this idea along with the pictures you have you can see its a quilt, but I agree its hard to determine size so a child cuddling with it next to the other picture will indicate how large the item is because it could be the size of a mug rug or a quilt but I wouldn't know because you could be zooming in on it
    Looks like you could offer the child model!

Surely, the pattern have the measurements to differentiate between Mug Rug or King Size, etc.?
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Exactly what I was thinking!! Two photo's ... one with child to show shape and drape, and another flat photo taken outdoors on an overcast day.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
    Could you hang it with clothes pins on a line to show the shape of it against something "not solid"?

Then maybe have a child stand next to it to show the scale of the quilt.
    This would be my suggestion as well. Hanging it next to something to show scale should do the trick for you.