Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
picking a newsewing machine >

picking a newsewing machine

picking a newsewing machine

Old 12-23-2011, 06:07 PM

I think the "best machine" is the one that is right for you. Go to several dealers and try different machines. You will know when you find the right one for you. I am a Pfaff lover. They are perfect for me. I have had my 7550 for 16 years and the only thing I have ever done for it is regular cleanings and a once every 18 month tune up by my dealer. My other machine is a Pfaff 2144 with all the upgrades so it is actually a 2170 machine. Again, I have regular cleanings and tune ups. You would not drive your car with out having it serviced now and then. My machines are work horses. I was head seamstress for a bridal shop for 5 years and used my machines for my work. The both have a "lot of miles" on them but run and stitch beautifully. The duel feed is a feature that I won't be without. You have to decided for yourself which one is the best machine for you. You know what you will use it for and your price range. Don't overlook a refurbished machine. Sometimes you can get more for less that way. Good luck on your search.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM

I love my Babylock and I highly recommend it.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

The machines you haven't had good luck with may have just been lemons. For however many good a company makes there seems to be a lemon pop up every so often. Just as any thing mechanical.
Don't put down machine quilting, it is the modern thing. I use to hand quilt, now at 66, I want to make 17 or 18 quilts a year to use up the fabrics I have, if I hand quilted them I would be doing good to make 2 or 3. I love making quilts and FMQ on my domestic machines and not worried about what others consider 'tradition', I've never been big on tradition anyway. I make quilts to suit myself and don't worry about what others think.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 AM

i purchased my last machine from kens sewing in alabama too it was my christmas present last year they have everything and great customer service too a small part came loose in shipping and broke they replaced it fast and without question. my machine sews great i wish they were close enough for servicing but we have an older gentlman in our area that is wonderful. so far its only had to have basic routine maintanence and were at a yr now. it the smoothest machine ive ever sewn on. its a brother it makes beautiful stitches and is very dependable and was cheaper than all the ones at walmart even the same model so i definately reccomend them. theve have lots of brands that was just the one i chose that was in my price range.
carla

Last edited by carla m; 12-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:48 AM

Like Candace, it sounds to me like your dealer is the problem, not the machine. There are generally advantages to getting a demo model - less cost, all the little startup problems solved. I've bought two demo models, and I was very pleased with both. However if you were told you were getting one thing and then got another, that's a dealer problem. Personally, I love my Berninas. If you already have one, you might find that a new one would be able to use a lot of the feet you already have (depending on the model). However I would recommend picking a good dealer and then the machine. All the big companies have good machines - Bernina, Pfaff, Viking, Janome, Babylock/Brother. Find a good dealer and the rest will follow.

Pam
Old 12-24-2011, 09:52 AM
RDM

I bought a used Bernina Virtuosa 160 from a friend & have an older Pfaff 7550-both are great machines. My Pfaff is my workhorse. My next machine will be the Pfaff Quilters 4.0. That said, many I know have a Janome and LOVE them. An instructor has older Juki with automatic thread cutter and swears by it. Her machine gets major use. Everyone has an opinion, so you need to figure what features you want, what price range, warranty, local support and instruction. Do you live in an area that has a sewing Expo or similar show? Great place to trial many brands in one day. Best of luck with your search.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Have you considered buying a vintage machine? Unless you're after all the bling, a zillion fancy stitches that most won't get used. Thread cutters, knee lifts, etc. I just can't see spending money on those things. Vintage machines (I LOVE my Kenmores!!!!) are much better built, and are like the Energizer bunny, just keep going and going and going.... And you can find them with fancy stitches too. Check out your local thrift shops and spend $10 or $20 (instead of hundreds or even thousands) and see if a vintage might serve you best. If not, you haven't spent much and you can then keep it for backup or donate it to a young sewing enthusiast who hasn't got a machine.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:37 AM

I think people are advising you to stay away from Singer/Viking/Pfaff because they are now made in the same factory and are not of the calibre as when they were made in Sweden (Viking) or Germany (Pfaff). Singer's influence has resulted in many changes for both brands and some of the newer models have been quirky. I think the Expression/Sapphires have been tweaked along the way so they now work much better. For dependability, Janome is very good and BabyLock also is excellent. At $600, you might be able to get a BabyLock w/ the automatic thread-cutter and the super-cool needle threader. Some of the newer machines now have the start-stop button which I have grown to appreciate more than I thought I would. Variable needle positions are important and the lock-stitch feature. Check which machine makes it easiest for you to achieve a perfect 1/4" seam as that what you will be doing most.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:02 AM

I have a Husqvarna Quilt Designer and love it. It is my workhorse. I also have a Kenmore, Pfaff, Singer and White. The Husqvarna is by far my favorite. One suggestion: buy a machine that has repair support in your area. If you have a good technician that can service the machine (thorough cleaning and adjustment every 3,000 miles) you will like you machine much more. Just like a car, a well-tuned machine will go the distance.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:08 PM

I have a Janome 3160QDC as my backup and travel machine to my Horizon. Well, that thing sews wonderfully. Nearly identical to my Horizon. It's in the $600 to $650 range.