Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictures of the reverse side of quilt tops

Question Pictures of the reverse side of quilt tops

There are quite a few quilters here who do outstanding work and you are also quick to offer help and guidance. Would you consider posting some pictures of your tops after you are done piecing - but before quilting - so that we newer, less experienced quilters, can actually see what the reverse side of finished quilt top should look like before being quilted by hand, on a home machine or sent to a long arm quilter?

I know everyone does what works for them, so there may be differences in technique, however it would be a great way to learn and see what we are striving for in our quilting and also explain how the reverse side finish affects the overall appearance of the finished quilt and the quilting.

Or is this a terrible suggestion?

Blog Entries
    that is a great suggestion- i will go take a couple pictures of backs of quilts i have waiting to be loaded up-
    as a long=arm quilter i sometimes wish people would pay a little attention to the backs of their finished tops- when i get one that has (tons) of strings- frayed seams- thread nests everywhere= it can add an hour or more to my time-if i left it like that it would be a mess- especially if the backing is light- and the threads are dark...even with batting between the two those threads can still show through-and be quite unsightly in a finished quilt.
    it will take me a little time to get some pics- but i will.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Red face Pictures of back of quilts

I too like to see the back of quilts, but, maybe just fold over one end with enough to see the back with the front.

Junior Member QuiltedCritterLady's Avatar
    I love this idea! We new, inexperienced quilters have no idea what we should be striving for.
    Never underestimate the power of a woman with a sewing machine!

I have plenty of them waiting for quilting. They may not be the best, but that is OK with me. I will get them up tomorrow morning when my kids are in school and my head is not pounding like it is today. Hope you do not mind the wait.
    Julie

Blog Entries
    ok- i took a couple pictures- now i just have to figure out how to post them....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

pictures of backs of quilt tops

here's another one (i hope) the picture posting part i think i'm going to have to work on...

Blog Entries

the threads that need to be clipped

so here is a picture that shows how long threads can (build up) and if left can show through when the quilt is quilted

As promised, here are some pictures of unquilted tops that I have. Hope this helps you out.

Here is one that I am just waiting to FMQ.
    Name:  DSCF4575.JPG
Views: 1888
Size:  57.2 KB
    Last edited by MoanaWahine; 11-07-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    Julie

Here is a checker flag block.
    Name:  DSCF4577.JPG
Views: 1893
Size:  52.1 KB

Here is a table runner made from Charm Squares.
    Name:  DSCF4579.JPG
Views: 1880
Size:  44.0 KB

Here is one that every time I touch it, the dark blue frays some more. Can not wait until I get this quilted.
    Name:  DSCF4581.JPG
Views: 1871
Size:  51.7 KB

Here is a little more complicated block. This is one that is in my Avatar Pic.
    Name:  DSCF4583.JPG
Views: 1870
Size:  74.0 KB

Here is another block from my Avatar Pic.
    Name:  DSCF4584.JPG
Views: 1875
Size:  68.2 KB

The last two pictures are from my Avatar Pic. This quilt top I have been caring around for at least 2 years. Have not quilted it yet and so happy that the fabric has not frayed that badly. Makes for less cleanup when I sit down to quilt it.
    Last edited by MoanaWahine; 11-07-2011 at 06:47 AM.
    Julie

Now for my WIP quilt tops.

This is from a Christmas Quilt that I am working on.
    Name:  DSCF4573.JPG
Views: 305
Size:  77.4 KB

Here is one from a Stack-N-Wack pattern that I am working on.
    Name:  DSCF4585.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  55.8 KB
    Julie

Blog Entries
    I do so appreciate you ladies taking the time to put these photos on here. It is a learning deal. Thanks so much!

This is a great topic. I'm watching it

Quilting is my therapy

Great question and gosh thank you all for sharing the backs of your quilts. That does help me immensely.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

The backs of MY quilts never look that good, ladies. Maybe some day if I keep practicing.

Good pictures everyone.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you know i really have to laugh! i've always read in the pamphlets i see "how to prepare your quilt for the longarmer" about cutting all the loose threads
    this always made me laugh b/c i thought that's impossible! but now i see what you mean & WHY----hhhhmmmm..........

please keep posting advice for quilting friendly tops

Please keep giving us advice to make our tops more quilter friendly. I want to make my tops as painfree as possible for the people quilitng my tops.

I know that my crumb quilts drive some quilters crazy because there are too many seams and it causes needle and thread breakage so I don't make my crumb blocks as "crumby" as before.

And when they tell me to square my top before giving it to them, how do I do that?

This thread is great, I learn easiest by sight and touch, so thank you all. I see gray thread being used - is there a number and manufacturer that you use the most? I've heard about the "magic" gray color and have wondered what it is. I'm also a newbie with quilting. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I haven't heard about the "magic gray color" before and would be interested in learning about that, too! Do I need to go buy gray thread? Sounds like a good reason to go thread/fabric shopping to me!!!

Power Poster
    Would it be okay to post the fronts and backs of individual blocks on this thread, also?

How a block is pressed does make a difference.

Excellent question/suggestion.

I've found a medium greenish-gray thread disappears into almost all colors - except for the very light ones.

I think this is just what I needed to see right now!!!! My daughter-in-law has just finished her first
    quilt top and I have been helping her iron it. I seen on her top where her seams are here and there. No
    order and it looks raggy, but I know once it is quilted no one will know this. I need to tell her to be very
    careful when she sews her seams and presses them. These pictures I am going to save and show her
    exactly what she needs to do without me having to tell her and maybe hurt her feelings. (you know us
    mother-in-laws)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blessingscounted View Post
    I've heard about the "magic" gray color and have wondered what it is.
    I don't match my thread to my fabric, I want a nice neutral color that goes with everything. I use beige. Some people like gray.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this thread. My question to go with this is: When you have pressed the blocks and go to sew them together and nest the corners sometimes they were pressed in the wrong direction to nest them when the strips of blocks are sewn together - how do you avoid this?
    Quilting in the Desert

Blog Entries
    I'm a hand quilter so I can spend a lot of time pressing seams, trimming errant seam allowances to prevent shadowing, clipping threads, etc. Based on a chosen quilting design, I may need to repress to accommodate the design, flipping the seam allowances into the opposite direction so I do not need to quilt through them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast