Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piece with white thread? >

Piece with white thread?

Piece with white thread?

Old 02-02-2014, 04:16 AM

I have a huge stash of white thread and always use it for piecing. If it shows through, make your stitches smaller.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 AM

IN this particular instance I wouold use white. I saw a quilt made by someone who used black thread with a white quilt and it showed thru the fab. So white would be my choice for this quilt. I my self other wise use beige or lite grey for piecing.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 AM

I have heard that the traditional colors for quilting (in the olden days, LOL) were black, white or red. Seem strange to us now, but I usually use whatever color is on the machine.

When I'm doing scrap quilts, I try to use up smaller bits of thread on the bobbins, then wind the bobbins with spools that have gotten low. Better to run out of thread from the bobbin, than from the spool. (That really makes a mess that takes minutes to untangle.)
Old 02-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

When I first started quilting in 1992, all I had was white. Nothing else. I did not get into the greys, creams, and other colors until just the last 4 years or so. I do not see a problem.

As someone else said, do a test block and see how you like it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:09 AM

I have almost finished a Red & White Courthouse Steps and I pieced it all with pale grey. I was told years ago to only use neutral for light colours, black for very dark fabrics and grey for a mix of the two. Has always worked for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna View Post
I have almost finished a Red & White Courthouse Steps and I pieced it all with pale grey. I was told years ago to only use neutral for light colours, black for very dark fabrics and grey for a mix of the two. Has always worked for me.
I use whatever the color of the quilt is. Makes more sense to me. I was given the spiel about always neutrals from a class I took but as I have been sewing forever, it made little sense to me. Do I sit and wait for a special color to be purchased, no, but I don't go crazy either. I have lots of thread!!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
I use whatever the color of the quilt is. Makes more sense to me. I was given the spiel about always neutrals from a class I took but as I have been sewing forever, it made little sense to me. Do I sit and wait for a special color to be purchased, no, but I don't go crazy either. I have lots of thread!!
I agree. I use whatever color the fabrics are. However, if I was doing a red and white, I would opt for the white as the bright red threads might show through.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 AM

I piece with white all the time on all different colors of fabric and never have a problem with it showing. Pressing the seams to one side as you normally do for quilting really hides any thread that might show in the seam.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

The white will be nice. I usually use white myself~
Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 AM

A few years ago, Connecting Threads had a fantastic sale on their "collections". I bought several of them and I usually have a close match to piece and quilt with, in a wide variety of choices. Before that I always used white.