Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced backing >

Pieced backing

Pieced backing

Old 05-12-2022, 01:05 AM
Banned

I think money is a factor for a lot of people, especially these days and I would never want people to feel bad about their beautiful quilts because they had to piece a back! If it’s a choice between putting extra into the top or not being able to quilt at all, I say, “PIECE AWAY!”

i purposely piece the back of scrappy quilts. I also piece the borders of scrappy quilts with different fabrics and I make extra bias binding with every quilt and piece those together for scrappy, binding, too.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:39 AM

I will piece a back using coordinating colors or fabrics from the front with a little extra thrown in. I usually don't have enough to fully coordinate the back. Often it is a close neutral. I do love the luxury of a wide back blender color on the back.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:11 AM

I use big scraps for the backing, it's an opportunity to be creative and try out a new block. Most of my quilts go to charity, perhaps the new owner will find joy in the back side. The quilt may end up on the floor, couch, who knows. I do know that it will be loved and help keep someone warm. I do the same thing for the RV, I make extra quilts and they get passed to fellow campers. I use one to sit outside on a chilly morning and it keeps me warm and I have two sides to look at and enjoy.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:44 AM

I prefer a pretty back on the quilts I make, one that is at least color coordinated to the front. However, on a totally scrappy quilt, I think it's perfectly acceptable to use larger pieces of fabric pieced together to make an "old time" looking backing. Use what you can, and use it up!
Old 05-12-2022, 03:51 AM

My only rule for backings: The back has to look good with the binding. Anything goes on the back! Keeps life interesting because you never know what you will find on the backside of my quilts or life in general. I am mostly a scrappy quilter.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:54 AM

When I plan to make a quilt, I also plan (i.e. purchase extra) for the backing. Often, I piece the remaining scraps from the quilt top and incorporate into coordinating fabric for the backing. I agree, it's a costly part of the process but I prefer gifted quilts to have continuity on the front/back.

However, I do have a very scrappy project that I work on in-between others and when I'm finished I will piece a very random, almost large crazy quilt, backing of "what was I thinking" fabrics. Perhaps I should get out of my box and liberate my quilt backs more often! It isn't necessary to perfectly coordinate but it sure does present a quilt nicely!

Isn't it wonderful to have so many choices?
Old 05-12-2022, 04:15 AM

I also like the back to coordinate with the front. If I am short of coordinating fabric, will make a scrappy strip that I can use to extend the size of the back using smaller pieces or similar colors as the front. But totally random fabrics... well, it bothers me. Most of the quilts I make are small bed sized or throws and it is common to see the back and the front often at the same time. My quilt, my choice, my stash, and my fussiness about the back. I use plenty of those "what was I thinking", "ugly fabrics" and the bin of odds and ends on the quilt top as a way to keep the "collection" under control.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:16 AM

Default I agree!

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I had to laugh, I did this today. I pieced a back for my grandsons cat quilt from the pieces I had leftover from the quilt. It would’ve been so much easier to purchase a cat backing but I kept thinking you don’t want to have 100 lbs of fabric left when you die….
one of my favorite quilt backs was made with wide strips of leftovers from front. Sometimes I buy an extra half yard per color, depending how many fabrics, for this purpose. Takes the stress out if "now how to finish".
Old 05-12-2022, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I've done both. It depends on the quilt I guess.
However, I once made the mistake of using a backing that didn't go with the front at all and it bugged me the whole time I used it. One of my sons loved the quilt though so I gave it to him. He doesn't care about backings haha.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:22 AM

I do chariltyl quilts for Project Linus. We all love the show and tell part of our meeting. Most of us do scrappy backs and we call them Twofers! We cheer with Ohhhs and Ahhhs over pieced, colorful backs and one color backs get a courtisy oh that's nice. Some of us use UFO's that will never make into a quilt for backs. Those quilts get a round of applause! lol I've been know to use "what in the world" FQ shashed for backs. Just another twofer!