Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced backing >

Pieced backing

Pieced backing

Old 05-13-2022, 12:49 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Golly I didn’t mean to be argumentative or to put anyone down. This thread seems to have brought out some emotional responses. Please you are so right with all that’s going on in the world this isn’t worth any kind of stress or arguing. Please everyone enjoy your quilting front and back no matter how you do it.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:37 AM

As for economy backing, I started using flat sheets from sets where the fitted sheet wore out. Our daughter sent me a flannel one that went well with a flannel quilt I made her brother. Little did I know that she wanted me to use it on a quilt for her.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:38 AM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Do quilters use used sheets for backings? That would be economical if they wear well. If they are new, do you have to wash them several times before? It is hard to find single sheets nowadays, mostly they come in sets.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:30 PM

I have started to use no pill fleece - a good brand which I get when I have coupons. As I do all my own FMQ on my domestic machine, it works so much better using the fleece as batting isn't needed and the fleece stays put when it is pin basted. My grandkids all like soft backs and this works so well. Sometimes regular backings with batting and then quilted can be kind of stiff.
It is especially good for little kids and baby quilts.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:20 AM

[QUOTE=Schill93;8551425
Don't get me wrong, I certainly understand about the cost issue. I just think there are better alternatives than to just slap together a mismatched hodge podge on the back.[/QUOTE]

ITA. I also think that when I've spent days in designing and fabric selection for the front, the back shouldn't compete with it. I like to use a matching Kona or maybe a Moda Marble or muslin.

Of course, if I even tried to insert a few blocks on a plain back, it would be wonky for sure, so there's that.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 05-21-2022, 05:56 AM

My first quilts used flat bed sheets. Today, they are disintegrating! use fabric!
I prefer a coordinated backing.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
My first quilts used flat bed sheets. Today, they are disintegrating! use fabric!
I prefer a coordinated backing.
That's a good point, I've had two sets of sheets where the bottom sheet wore thin and eventually got holes.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:42 AM

I think just do what you want and/or can afford. It's all good. I will piece a back if I need to but I prefer not too. Not because I like the look of a solid type backing but mainly because by the time I get done piecing the front, I just want to get the backing on and get her done. If I have bought special fabric for the front I will try and use a good quality backing for it. If it is a quilt I pieced out of scraps I will use what I have. I made 7 lap quilts out of scrap flannel but did not have enough flannel to back them so I bought a cheaper flannel at one of the box stores on sale, actually washed it in hot water twice because I could see that it had a looser weave. The hot washing helped shrink it all up and then I put it on the back. I can still tell the quality is not as good as the scraps on the front but it works and I have since washed it several times, It is soft and cuddly will all the washing and use. I still did not have enough flannel for backing so I did use a brushed homespun on the back of two of them. They are just fine although I really do think they will wear out sooner than the all flannel ones but they were made of scraps in the first place. I have been given sheets a couple of times and did not have any problems with them on my long arm. The quality of sheets really varies widely as does the content so I really do try and stay away from them. I keep my eye out for the sales rack and if there is a fabric of enough qualtity that I think would make a fine quilt back, I will get it even if I don't have a specific quilt top in mind. I do stay away though from unusual fabrics or directional ones that would be hard to match in a long seam. I still have some of those but I have found several of those bargin backings that have found their quilt top and sometimes, I really don't think I could have found a better backing if I had bought it at full price specifically for a top.