Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Piecing backing from 40" wide fabric...help!

Piecing backing from 40" wide fabric...help!

Hi everyone. I removed the selveges from my backing fabric only to find that I now have only 40 inches of useable fabric. My quilt is 79 X 79. How should I piece my backing? Thanks for your help!

How much fabric do you have?

Oh, I have lots of the fabric, seven yards I think.

If you have 7 yards of fabric - that is 252 inches long. I would probably make 3 pieces 84 in. long then cut those pieces to be 29 or 30 in. wide. Using the 29 in. would would come out with a piece that is about 85.5 in. by 84 - that will give you room all the way around the quilt.

Thats kinda what I thought. More trouble than I wanted to go to, but I can't think of a better way. Thank you!

You could try John Flynn's method of diagonal backing. I've used it several times and have saved lots of money on yardage using it!
    http://www.flynnquilt.com/media/uplo...onalpb1103.pdf
    Tenacity is more than endurance. It is endurance combined with the absolute certainty that what we are looking for is going to transpire. -Oswald Chambers

I would cut it in half based on the # of yds you bought and then piece a horizontal piecing that would make up 6-12 inches in width by 69+ 12 inches. Sew 39inches by 3 1/2 yards to the horizontal strip and then to the other 3 1/2 yards (actually you just need it to be about 79+12 inches = 91 inches or a little more than 2 1/2 yards each) so that the pieced part is in the middle of the backing. Then quilt as normal.

I do this often with my throw quilts that are around 80 inches on the long side.....works like a charm and I don't have to piece the top part or the bottom. And it looks like I did it on purpose and brings the front around to the back!

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I would cut into the 84" lengths and sew the three pieces together. Fold in half lengthwise,with the seams together, and measure about 43-45" from the fold, and cut off the extra.

You can cut two strips that are longer then the length of your quilt and put a stripe of a fabric that is in the quilt top between those two strips. That will look neat. I seen others do it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    If you have 7 yards of fabric - that is 252 inches long. I would probably make 3 pieces 84 in. long then cut those pieces to be 29 or 30 in. wide. Using the 29 in. would would come out with a piece that is about 85.5 in. by 84 - that will give you room all the way around the quilt.
    This sounds good to me. I have been using larger pieces of fabrics for backing too. Ones I don't want to use for the front.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cindi View Post
    You could try John Flynn's method of diagonal backing. I've used it several times and have saved lots of money on yardage using it!
    http://www.flynnquilt.com/media/uplo...onalpb1103.pdf

This is a clever method and uses less fabric. It took a visual demo for me to really 'get it.' But it would probably be good for your current dilemma. PS. Some of the new fabrics are less than the 44" even with the selvage. So now I check the width, especially if spending over $12 for a yard.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I usually use piece backing. I do it this way:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Here's a visual that may help.

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I was anxious to get going with this, so I sewed three 29" wide lengths together and already have my quilt sandwich layered and ready to go. I'm looking forward to trying the John Flynn method and some of Jan's ideas. Thank you Jan, and everyone who replied!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I would agree...