Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pilling Flannel on rag quilt?! Any Advice?

Blog Entries
    I had also read somewhere that you should Not use fabric softener when washing flannel or fleece because it can cause the material to pill.

New pics..

Done! Well...almost! Just a few touch ups and it will find it's new home in my friend's nursery! I like how the (mostly) cotton front turned out! Thanks again for all the advice!
    -Jeanette
    Attached Images Attached Images

im getting ready to use flannel on the back of a rag quilt. i purchased it at Hancock fabrics, but it was with the bolts of batting and marked/labeled as "quilt backing flannel". after reading suggestions on this wonderful board, i washed and dried it first. now, im hoping it will hold up after i put the rag quilt together. i would hate for it to get all funky looking after all that work. i tend to wash my rag throws alot.
    Last edited by Lorettan; 01-21-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Just made my first flannel rag quilt with moda & JoAnn flannel and it laundered by the cleaners and it pilled terribly. I just read this that may help with pilling:

Instructions

• 1 Wash flannel sheets in 1 cup of white vinegar instead of laundry detergent. This can help reduce pilling and prevent future pilling.

• 2 Add 1/2 cup of vinegar added to the rinse cycle or in a plasticizer ball to prevent pills from forming.

• 3 Cut pills off manually, either with scissors or a safety razor. Stretch the sheet over a smooth, round surface and snip pills off or shave them. This will remove pills, but can be time consuming. Follow with regular vinegar rinses when washed to prevent pills from re-forming.

I'd try this at home, but my quilt is kingsize.

Buy quality, 100 percent cotton flannel that feels smooth to the touch and has a minimum weight of 4 oz. per square yard. Avoid flannel that looks or feels thin or rough, or that contains polyester or other synthetic fibers. Launder your sheets gently, avoiding high heat and excess agitation or tumbling.

Hope this helps someone.

I will reiterate that you have to wash them separately so they can't get fuzz or anything else from other fabric. I have had good luck with flannel sheets from Land's End. They seem to not shrink as much and they don't pill. Good luck.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I do my best to use high quality flannel. I use the fabric shaver and just clean off the pills. Better flannel has a less lots pills and just such a softer feel. After it has been washed once or twice, it washes up nicely and everyone seems to like it. Overall, I don't like flannel, but it has it's place I guess.

I think flannel quilts are kinda like old favorite shoes, the more they are used the better they are!

Blog Entries
    I agree with what was stated. I made 2 flannel quilts with fabrics from Joanne's and the first pilled so badly no one wanted it. The second one was from Joanne's quilter's fabrics and it also pilled, but not as badly as the first. I am going to try LQS quilting fabric and the Land's end flannel sheets idea. The only reason I am going to try again is because I like to make them and I want to use the scissors that I invested in for the project.

There was only 1 piece of fabric that I bought several years ago what pilled terribly after the first washing. I discarded that fabric and never even considered using it for even placement in the middle batting. I now make rag quilts for mostly utility purpose-with one fancy quilt being periodically made yearly for monetary sale. I don't have much money to go to Local Quilt Shops in my area and buy unless it is on the clearance shelf. I have found that the fabrics there are made in the same foreign countries-usually China, India, and Pakistan-as Joann's and Hancock's are. So I prewash the fabrics from the chain stores before cutting out and sewing and never had one that pilled too much-or at least was acceptable in how much was pilled. I can tell you for sure that it is far better than most of the ready made products sold most anywhere nowadays. I rotate my quilts so that one is used for a month, washed, then put away for several months. That way my quilts are not harshly used or washed too much for as long as possible.

I made a rag quilt using homespun and a lot of homespun scraps pieced to make more blocks. Everyone in the house wants to sleep on or under that rag quilt. Sure it is not "cute" but there are some bright homespuns out there. I have washed it twice and it is nice and frayed and so soft and comfortable.

I have two more cut out.

Blog Entries
    I made 5 rag quilts last year using Joann's flannel. They were washed at the laundromat using regular detergent and dried on high. None of them pilled. I guess I was just lucky, because I got the fabric on Black Friday for less than $2.00 a yard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2