Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pilling Flannel on rag quilt?! Any Advice? >

Pilling Flannel on rag quilt?! Any Advice?

Pilling Flannel on rag quilt?! Any Advice?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM

I haven't had the greatest luck with any flannel (or fleece either) so tend to stick to cotton products. Your quilt is adorable though.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM

Were the quilts washed alone and not with other wash? I have had pills on stuff because a Kleenex wasn't taken out of the pockets. Now I had to get up and go look at a baby flannel quilt I made with flannel from JoAnn's quite some time ago. Keep it for when the kiddies viist. It never pilled and it is over 6 years old. When I wash them I wash them at a laundry place in those front loading tubs. I would never think of doing it in my top loading machine. Have two queen size flannel quilts and none have pills and they are over 4 years old. They have mostly QS flannel and some of JoAnn's when I couldn't find the color I wanted. Same thing..I wonder what causes the pilling. I'm making a twin size one for grand daughter in college and sure hope that doesn't pill. That is mostly all Quilt Shop. I do stars and other things on the blocks to quilt them. I also go around each block about 1/4 or 1/2inch next to the seam where they are sewn together and that secures the batting.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

good quality heavy double sided flannels can make a difference- but you can make raggy quilts with regular cottons and they will fray up nicely too-
if you want (meatier frayed edges) you can add a layer of inexpensive muslin in the middle which adds more edges to fray
flannels are notorious for pilling- a lint roller usually fixes the look - i made a raggy not long ago with regular cottons on the top and fleece on the back- that one is very snuggly! i clipped the edges fairly close (1/4") i also used a layer of muslin in the center instead of batting-figuring the fleece was heavy enough i did not need batting too.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 AM
mem

I think the quality of Joann's flannel has deteriorated this year. Flannel I purchased there a few years ago seems heavier and nicer than what they have now. I bought patterns for animal-shaped rag quilts, but when I went to look at their flannel it was so thin I wouldn't buy it. Unfortunately, the quilter's flannel didn't come in the colors/designs I was hoping for. Disappointing. May try what ckcowl suggested...use cotton on top and fleece on the back
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM

I'm really disapointed to hear this about Joann's flannel. I bought a bunch for baby blankets and now I don't want to use it for a gift if it's going to look terrible so quickly. I'll save it for batting on art quilts. I read someone recommended Connecting Threads flannel. Anybody else have good experience with theirs or have good luck with other online sources? My two LQS don't carry much flannel.

Sandy
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback!! Yes..the flannel I purchased was from Joann's and I did wash it blanket only in the wash only once!! I decided to do the baby crib comforter front all cotton (well there will be 7 squares of coordinating flannel on front that will match the flannel backing! (Thanks for the pic of the cotton front!) I lucked out with the nursery cotton print I chose...it had a coordinating flannel print! I have all my squares cut and will be starting it soon!
Does anyone have any luck with Hancock fabrics vs Joann's?
Thanks again for the feedback!!
Jeanette
Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM

I made a rag quilt with joanna flannel and it pilled so bad that I gave the quilt to the cat. I washed it alone and several times thinking that would help. Nope it got worse each time.
The cat loves it so it wasn't a total loss.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:03 PM

So, if flannel pills, what ARE we supposed to use for a rag quilt? I have my new rag quilt scissors and am raring to go... Anxiously awaiting recommendations from those of you with experience please.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 PM

I love your colors!
I made 3 of my DGS flannel (from Joanns) rag quilts and after I conpleted each one I put them thru the rinse then dryer 3 times (lots and lots of lint) but they turned out ok. I did tell my DDIL's to wash them by themselves a couple more times due to lint. Also made a flannel kitty rag quilt for DGD and it didn't pill either. Could it be the color combination ? Mine was mostly medium colors. Just a wild guess.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I made a baby rag quilt.. Washed it three times and it did pill a little bit but it came off with a tape lint roller and it wasnt horrible either... I would make another one..I used three layers of Joannes Flannel I got last year when it was $1.99/yd- I used my GO rag die and my Go teddy bear die.. I did the ragged edge applique for the bear with a simple straight stitching and the dk blue blocks I sewed an X keep the flannel from bunching and I thought it was missing something if I left it plain..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301709[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]301712[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_1257.jpg   img_1258.jpg  

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-09-2012 at 01:34 PM.