Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pillow Cases >

Pillow Cases

Pillow Cases

Old 07-25-2010, 07:06 PM

what dimensions do you use? I went to a LQS and told them I wanted to make a pillow case. The clerk said all I would need is 3/4 of a yard. Paid for it and took it home. Looked on line about making pillow cases. Most sites said 27" x 41". The 3/4 yard I purchased from the LQS is only 32" not 42" or 44". Now I have to use that material for something else...
Old 07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Banned

I use 3/4 yd for the body, 1/8 yard accent strip. 1/4 yd for cuff. It tells me to cut the accent piece 3", but I think I am going to change to 2 1/2". 3 seems kind of wide. I do the Sausage Pillowcase, then their are no raw edges and it goes together really fast. The fabric needs to be 42" inches or more wide.

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
what dimensions do you use? I went to a LQS and told them I wanted to make a pillow case. The clerk said all I would need is 3/4 of a yard. Paid for it and took it home. Looked on line about making pillow cases. Most sites said 27" x 41". The 3/4 yard I purchased from the LQS is only 32" not 42" or 44". Now I have to use that material for something else...
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM

I made Halloween print pillowcases last year and some people wanted them for six dollars. I know the material wasn't quite as good as LQS, but my time was valuable:-(
Some older women told me that they were buying them for candy sacks during trick or treats.

Think about the market....I had donated mine to a church fund raiser and the prevailing thought was price it low to sell everything. Their customers want things dirt cheap. That is why I no longer provide that group with a baby quilt. I can donate twenty five dollars and come out ahead.

I have also made pillowcases out of university fabric (Univ. of Michigan, Michigan State) or football team fabric (Lions, Packers). They have a broad appeal for youth and adults who are willing to pay a decent price for something nice. Good luck!

My formula (42 inch wide fabric) 27 inches for body length; 2.5 inch x WOF folded in half lengthwise for insert; 10 inches x WOF for the band -- assemble using sausage technique.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
If you have directional fabric then you need more. However, the fabric at 3/4 of a yard should measure 32x44".