Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pin basting problems >

Pin basting problems

Pin basting problems

Old 09-12-2020, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Everyone kept telling me my Brother 1500 walking foot would fit my Juke tq98. The needle guild on the Juki would hit the foot. Everyone said their's did not. Finally the solution was found. I thought I'd try the walking foot one last time. I dropped the screw that I used to put the foot on and couldn't find it, I had another screw with smaller head so I used that one. It worked liked a charm. The other screw head was just big enough to touch the walking foot housing to not tighten the foot as it needed to be causing it not to fit exactly. I never would have figured that out just looking at the first screw. It seemed to fit fine.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:18 AM

I lay the batting on top of my large table and, working in sections, thinly spread a glue that washes away on the batting, and then smooth the backing on top of it. After the back is done, I flip the batting over, and do the top side. If the top has a eon of seams, I pin it down. Those seams can cause shifting too as the quilting foot might move differently over heavy seams.

I often make the blocks on the back of the quilt the same size as the blocks on the top. I like to work in 12" blocks. That way I can match the corners of the backing block to the corners of the top block and pin at the intersection of those corners. This can be tricky, so I take my time.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

I smooth my backing on glass topped dining table and clamp with clamps I bought from Home Depot. smooth batting on top, reclamp to include that, lay top on top of batting and reclamp it. Then with large safety pins I start pinning the layers together. Works great for me.

Seems everyone does sandwiches differently and the methods all work.