Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pin cushion filler >

Pin cushion filler

Pin cushion filler

Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Many, many year ago when I learned to make pincushions we also used hair to stuff them.. or we took a piece of wool fabric and "unwove" it..and used the fobers to fill them.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by SandraJennings
I have actually used sand. It works as a sharpening agent for the pins and it stays put. It is also less form restrictive.
I am w/Sandra on this too just because I love the feel of the pin cushions that are filled w/sand. They move around so nice and you can park them anywhere and they fit and stay put:)I am a pincushion fanatic and love making them. If you use sand, I picked up the 'child's safe' sand as it is 'clean' and line my cushion inside w/a tighter weave muslin as it helps lock in the sand and keeps it from ever sneaking out:)My favorites are my wool cushions, filled w/sand and lined inside w/muslin. I like Shadow's idea too but, haven't tried that. I have used the pellets w/poly batting on top. My fav is sand so far!:)Will try the lizard department next:)Skeat
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
I am w/Sandra on this too just because I love the feel of the pin cushions that are filled w/sand. They move around so nice and you can park them anywhere and they fit and stay put:)I am a pincushion fanatic and love making them. If you use sand, I picked up the 'child's safe' sand as it is 'clean' and line my cushion inside w/a tighter weave muslin as it helps lock in the sand and keeps it from ever sneaking out:)My favorites are my wool cushions, filled w/sand and lined inside w/muslin. I like Shadow's idea too but, haven't tried that. I have used the pellets w/poly batting on top. My fav is sand so far!:)Will try the lizard department next:)Skeat
Skeat, could you clarify a couple things? I have sandy paperweights and just love them as they stay put. Wouldn't mind trying it in a pin cushion, but it seems like it would be messy. Do you make, like a bag of some sort to fill with the sand, then put that inside the wool?? I just can't picture in my brain making my little quilt block and backing and filling with sand instead of batting. I am a little worried about it all coming out as I put pins in and take them out. How do you do it?

Melissa
Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 AM

Skeat, could you clarify a couple things? I have sandy paperweights and just love them as they stay put. Wouldn't mind trying it in a pin cushion, but it seems like it would be messy. Do you make, like a bag of some sort to fill with the sand, then put that inside the wool?? I just can't picture in my brain making my little quilt block and backing and filling with sand instead of batting. I am a little worried about it all coming out as I put pins in and take them out. How do you do it?

Melissa[/quote]

Here's my steps in how I do this...I make my pin cushion (what you will see when you are done) and sew it all the way around leaving the opening for when you turn it inside right...and turn it right:) I then make a little 'inside' one out of muslin leaving the opening open also, turn it right side out, tuck it inside by going thru the opening of the pin cushion...then fill the muslin 'sleeve' (as I call it) w/sand...sew the opening closed w/sewing machine (can baste closed first if you fill yours full)then I whipstitch the opening of the outside cushion closed...and, there you have it!:)You can find the clean sand if that is what you choose to use in the kid sections of kid craft areas. Hope that helps:)Skeat
Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 AM

PS...I use a funnel to put the sand in that muslin sleeve...and, do it over a cookie sheet or something in case you drop any, it will make clean up easier:0)Skeat
Old 04-21-2009, 06:10 AM

Have been using the Reptile gravel from the pet store since I read about it here and in a magazine for making the cake pieces pin cushion. Found a store where they were closing out that department and got it at half price! :lol:
Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks Skeat, I'm gonna have to try it!
Old 11-29-2009, 02:32 PM

Hi~~New to message board~~~~~I am making pin cushions and have in the past used dried lavender and flax seed. I went to look for my flax seed that was in a zip lock bag~The bag was almost eaten away by mice or moths or some type of bug? I feel crazy now, what about all of the past pin cushions, will they be eaten also? I just thought the 2 would say smelling nice and keep pins sharp. Can anyone tell me what would be the best? Thanks, Sandra
Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Was your flax seed mixed with the lavender? I'm guessing that it wasn't, in which case it would have been eyed as a tasty meal by critters...the lavender should put them off, since most critters don't like the smell of it...
Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM

Emery has alway's been the filler of choice for most professional seamstresses and quilters. Emery acts as a sharpener to keep the little nibs off of your needles and pins, helps to keep them from rusting, and as a weight for your pincushion. Although not inexpensive, it can be found on e-bay and I'm sure other places.
Felt seems like a good idea as does the batting and steel wool.
Personnel preference of the user I would say.
Following is the definition from MW dictionary on-line:

Main Entry: em·ery
Pronunciation: \ˈem-rē, ˈe-mə-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural em·er·ies
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French esmeril, from Old Italian smiriglio, from Medieval Latin smiriglum, from Greek smyrid-, smyris
Date: 15th century
: a dark granular mineral that consists of corundum with iron oxide impurities (as magnetite) and is used as an abrasive; also : a hard abrasive powder