Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pincushion filling >

pincushion filling

pincushion filling

Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 AM

Someone made me a pincushion and she used wool. I don't know if it keeps the pins sharp, but I believe the lanolin in the wool prevents the pins from rusting. It is my favorite pincushion. She used a small round aluminum kitchen mold for the base, and glued the outer fabric inside the rim. The only other pincushions I use are magnetic. I like them a lot, and prefer to take one of those with me to quilt somewhere other than at home. The pins don't fall off in traveling.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 AM

I stuff all of my pin cushions when I make them, with regular polyfill stuffing. I add a small amount of steel wool during struffing so it is surrounded by batting. Works for me but some folks who live in more humid areas say there is a possibility of the steel wool rusting. I think it would be ok as long as it does not get wet. Any one have thoughts on this?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

I stuff my pin cushions with polyfil and I have made a ton of them. We used to have a pin cushion swap. Don't know if it still is in the works but I loved it.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:55 AM

Crushed walnut shells, sand, fine gravel, lentils, left over batting scraps cut fine, etc. Lots of choices.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

we DO HAVE A SWAP GOING! to be mailed by Oct 25th I think. PaintmeJudy is the new hostess. I use walnut shells on the bottom of most of my pin cushions just for weight. the stuff em with polyfill. I was going to add the steel wool but like some mentioned it may rust when going to a moist area-like OHIO. Maybe I'll try it with one for myself and let you know how it works out. Now jump on over to the SWAPS and join us!!
Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I stuff my pin cushions with polyfil and I have made a ton of them. We used to have a pin cushion swap. Don't know if it still is in the works but I loved it.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 AM

Like all metal tools, plant material (walnut shells, sawdust, rice, beans, etc) will dull pins in pincushions. And, like all metals tools, minerals (emery, steel wool, clay cat litter, sand, etc) will sharpen them. Think about what dulls metal tools (saws, scissors, rotary cutters, knives, garden clippers, etc) and what is used to sharpen them.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 AM

I like sand, but I do have crushed walnut shells which aren't quite as heavy. I think the sand keeps your needles sharpened.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:04 AM

I've been in several pin cushion exchanges. I don't like batting....too light. They say sawdust molds (drats, as we have that). Personally, I like silica sand (bought at a lumber/Home Depot, etc. store). You get a 25 lb bag for $3. We use the leftover - tons of it - to put between the cracks on our brick pathway. I've used crushed walnut shells, too. They are pretty expensive. Oh, yes, I put a muslin outer shell around my sand to help keep it in. Have fun.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 AM

I read somewhere to use steel wool as it will sharpen your pins. I have a pattern to make one and I like the idea of putting the fiberfill around the steel wool.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:20 AM

I have been thinking about this too, I am thinking about using something in the bottom for weight and filling it the rest of the way up with steel wool because I have been reading that this will keep the pins sharp.I have also read to buy bird grit in the pet isle at places like walmart I did pick up some of this at wal mart ,it comes in a box about the size of a mac and cheese box ( I had trouble finding it cause I was looking for a bag).It was around a buck I think. Remember the old tomato pincushions that had a small strawberry attached with to the larger pin cushion to sharpen needles ? They had some type of grit in them . You know back in past times pincushions were filled with hair ! My grandma actually had a hair jar that you placed the hair in after you combed your hair, it was specially made for this purpose. She was proud of this hand painted little container , she used to tell me that the " rich ladies had them in the olden days "so it made her feel fancy when she looked at it lol
( They were actually called hair receivers for those interested in fun old facts)I know way off topic but a fun fact that women used to use hair.

Last edited by raedar63; 09-30-2013 at 06:30 AM.