Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Velocity 50 iron keeps shutting off >

Velocity 50 iron keeps shutting off

Velocity 50 iron keeps shutting off

Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Default Velocity 50 iron keeps shutting off

I bought a Reliable velocity 50 iron and I just hate it. When I first got it, it was leaking brown water all over my white appliqued quilt. The company replaced it after going back and forth for a month. The second one does not leak, but is constantly turning off, even while I am using it. It has a "steam ready" feature which keeps it from turning off, but only if it is steaming. With the amount of steam it produces, this means you will go through a gallon of distilled water in a day. I called the company and they said just keep it on the lowest temp during "steam ready", a but when you want it to heat back up to a higher temp, it takes forever. Does anyone else have this iron? Does anyone know how to keep it from tuning off without steaming? I am at the point where if it wasn't so expensive, I would toss it in the trash.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry you're having a problem with this iron. I have the Reliable Velocity V100, and I like it a lot. My iron has the feature that I can put it in a mode where it doesn't shut off at all. If not in that mode it will shut off sometimes when I am using it, but it's easy to turn it back on by pushing one button. The steam is marvelous, although I seldom use it, and the service from the company was wonderful. I bought my iron as a reconditioned unit.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 AM

I don't have the iron you are using, but I feel your pain. Nothing is worse than not having a tool that is reliable and trouble free. I have not been pleased with my last two irons, and the one I am using now just barely does what I want. What I have noticed is that the expensive irons...of which I really only bought one....weren't any more reliable than the medium cheap ones.

I have decided that I expect too much from an iron.

I hope you get happier with yours.

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 12-06-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 AM

I am with Dunster I have the Velocity 100 and haven't had any issues. One of the main reasons I got that one is it has a button you can push to bypass the auto shut off.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:56 PM

There are 2 buttons. Be sure you are pushing and holding it down til it beeps and that you are pushing the right one. Never had a problem with mine except I blew the fuse in it by not turning it off manually. I was turning it off from the power strip.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry to hear of your trouble w/ Reliable iron. I have two and love them both. My orange one has an override and will stay on all the time and press a button for steam when you want it. I love this iron and use it for my quilting. It never spits, drips or clogs.

My other Reliable is the big blue one which I use for cloths. Both have been great for me.

I think if you contact the company they will take care of you, a nice company.
peace
Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 AM

For those with the Velocity 100 - how's the handle on the iron? Mine seems to be peeling where you put your thumb for some reason. I don't wear a thumb ring. I thought it was just me until I spotted the same iron in a quilt store classroom that had the same problem.

There's nothing wrong with the iron itself. I like mine, it does what I want it to when I need it. It's just the handle and I can make a lycra/velcro sleeve or use tape if I have to. I'd just like to know why it's peeling.