Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pineapple log cabin >
  • Pineapple log cabin

• Pineapple log cabin

Old 10-24-2019, 03:34 AM

I know everyone doesn't like paper piecing but I highly recommend it for the pineapple log cabin. Points come out perfectly.
    Old 10-24-2019, 03:44 AM

Yep, Creative Grids Pineapple Ruler is my choice too - they even have 2 sizes! Using the rulers as directed is even useful for a group project because every block turns out the same size. It’s great when many hands want to contribute their efforts to one quilt.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]618908[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]618910[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 92ab3daf-0ab5-4e3b-9526-8c554478cd10.jpeg   10e25065-8a5a-414c-aad0-0afe960e81fb.jpeg   67255aa8-ed3d-4861-b7d7-ee9a0bcf7a73.jpeg  
    Old 10-24-2019, 03:49 AM

Eeeek! Sorry my photos were so big... i’m still working on the finer points of posting. My apologies. 😊
    Old 10-24-2019, 04:04 AM

Those are perfect, April! That first one is a great shot of the pineapple blocks. I realize my comments before didn't go into enough detail to help the original poster.

Pulled out my "Pineapple Rule" by Nancy Smith and Linda Milligan dated 1989. I found it didn't help me that much, perhaps the other rulers were better.

In my case, I was using equal widths of two different fabric. I simply cut them into strips. You start with your center, your first round can be full triangles or depending on the width of the strips maybe not. When you make your next round you sew first, trim later. All you need is a straight edge, but I'll admit having some diagonals make it easier.

But you don't cut a ton of individually angled sides and lengths. Just strips!

Note for scrappy: You can use as many fabrics in the strip technique as you want. You can go all four of that round with one fabric, or a different one for each. I find I prefer to have light/dark or some other contrast between the sides of my blocks, but you can do it completely disregarding that as well.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-24-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    Old 10-24-2019, 04:25 AM

I would be truly embarrassed to admit exactly how many of every kind of pineapple ruler and every pineapple class i have taken associated with those rulers and books over the years! I refuse to answer on the grounds it might incriminate me!

When i found the Creative Grids Pineapple rulers i was pretty skeptical. But even though i already had pretty much every ruler know to Quiltdom, i still really wanted to make a pineapple quilt! I had also tried paper piecing - and i do like that - but really didnt want to deal with all the paper removal for as many blocks as i might need. I considered using the wash-away paper (kinda spendy - maybe i coulda traded in all those other rulers!).

I watched an MSQ video using the Creative Grids rulers - hmmmm... so i ordered two sets (one for me and one for my quilting buddy cuz misery loves company and we had already bought all of the other rulers and attended all of those classes together!). We are hooked and now keep a “bug out bag” with precut strips and everything we need just in case an all day quilting opportunity arises! We even periodically cull and cut from our stashes and share/trade with each other to make it more fun! If someone is interested in what we are doing, we give them little baggies of strips to try out and let them borrow our ruler and we help them get started. We have helped the LQS sell a lot of rulers that way!
    Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 AM

I have used this block only a few times, though I like it a lot. Many years ago I made a pineapple block vest for a dear friend, back when everyone was wearing vests (Wish they come back!). It seems to me that the key to making it work with scrappies is just to select a color range for the pineapple elements that contrasts decidedly with the fabrics used in the background elements. I would stay away from larger prints for this because it's often hard to keep the dividing line between darker and lighter distinct with these narrow strips. I used paper piecing and would definitely stick with that method for this, though it's not my go-to piecing method most of the time. It makes accuracy so much easier with the high number of small parts in this block.
    Old 10-24-2019, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I paper-pieced mine and it's very scrappy. I used a pattern from Laundry Basket Quilts, but there are plenty of free patterns out there that you can use.
    Peckish, that is wonderful!
    Old 10-24-2019, 08:56 AM

I have not used her method either but you should be able to get the same results you are looking with a scrappy look. Peckish you quilt it perfect for the pineapple Log cabin nice and scrappy looking too.
    Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AprilM
    Eeeek! Sorry my photos were so big... i’m still working on the finer points of posting. My apologies. 
    I love large pics to be able to see the details; these are great
    Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    There is a book and ruler just for scrappy Pineapple quilt blocks. Trash to Treasure by Gyleen X. Fitzgerald.
    It's the best way I have used to make this block.

Here is a video describing her quilts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUdM5VUdYeQ
    Gayleen was the speaker/workshop at my guild a couple of years ago. VERY modern thinking woman when it comes to quilting. Must be her engineering background Great teacher.