Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What e2e design should I use? >

What e2e design should I use?

What e2e design should I use?

Old 10-29-2019, 06:14 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 79
Default What e2e design should I use?

Hi - I'm making a whole cloth quilt. It is upholstery fabric, and I am making a comforter for our California king bed. I do not do free motion quilting, so it has to be an e2e design. The drapery fabric is bright abstract floral with the background being the color of this comforter piece. Our room is traditional from the standpoint that it is the traditional cherry furniture. But, it has a touch of modern to it. I am undecided if I need to soften it up by doing feathers (if so, which one) or keep it modern. Please, any input you have would be appreciated! Thanks so much! LaDonna
Attached Thumbnails img_7726-1-.jpg  
plays10s is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:19 AM
  #2  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,568
Default

Do you have a photo of the actual fabric you are using. It is hard to suggest an E2E without seeing the fabric. Also are you talking about a hand guided E2E or computer driven?
feline fanatic is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:32 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Deep South near Cajun Country, USA
Posts: 4,452
Default

Your fabric is so well defined in the squares that I would really think about doing something that looks like a stitch in the ditch. An overall e2e would be confusing to my eyes. Maybe stitch as a 16 patch grid and then go back in and fill in every other 16 patch with a single open work quilting design. What is your husband interested in? Find a coloring page that you like, then adjust the size to fit the size of the 16 patch blocks. For those that don't have other stitching in them, I would continue to accent the squares by stitching around each set of 4 blocks.

Or, find the center or where you want the center to be and do some straight line stitching making a square on point. Then echo that inward about every 1/2 to 1 inch. Then do something else when you go further out. That would give you a focus center.

Print out your picture and draw on it. You might find a wonderful design you really like.

I did some funky stuff on my laptop. Nothing is square because I can't draw a straight line on it, but I thought this might give you the context of my ideas.

! I didn't realize this was the back of the quilt. My bad. We need to see the front of the quilt Please.
Attached Thumbnails wholecloth-squares-lg-4x4-grid.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-29-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Barb in Louisiana is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:35 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 79
Default

Thank you, but I can't do any free motion at all. That's why I have to find an e2e. I will be doing it on a HQ Avante with prostitcher. I don't think that makes a difference, but the other responder wanted to know.
plays10s is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 10,568
Default

I guess I misunderstood. What exactly is the fabric you want to make a wholecloth? Is it the fabric your pictured? You spoke of drapery fabric with floral so now I am confused. If the fabric you want to make a wholecloth is the one you pictured I would not use it or quilt it. I would choose something else. The fabric pictured already has texture with the squares and I agree with Barb that another E2E on top of that embossed square fabric would just be confusing to the eye.
feline fanatic is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 08:27 AM
  #6  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 37,968
Default

Many store bought quilted comforters have random designs over fabric. That is a lovely texture cream fabric and any thing you decided to quilt in an e2e would look nice in my opinion. I would use a fairly open large scale deign in maybe a geometric pattern?
Tartan is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Your fabric is so well defined in the squares that I would really think about doing something that looks like a stitch in the ditch. An overall e2e would be confusing to my eyes. Maybe stitch as a 16 patch grid and then go back in and fill in every other 16 patch with a single open work quilting design. What is your husband interested in? Find a coloring page that you like, then adjust the size to fit the size of the 16 patch blocks. For those that don't have other stitching in them, I would continue to accent the squares by stitching around each set of 4 blocks.

Or, find the center or where you want the center to be and do some straight line stitching making a square on point. Then echo that inward about every 1/2 to 1 inch. Then do something else when you go further out. That would give you a focus center.

Print out your picture and draw on it. You might find a wonderful design you really like.

I did some funky stuff on my laptop. Nothing is square because I can't draw a straight line on it, but I thought this might give you the context of my ideas.

I didn't realize this was the back of the quilt. My bad. We need to see the front of the quilt Please.

This is the front of the quilt. It is upholstery fabric. I cannot do free motion quilting. It has to be a computerized e2e design. Sorry. I sure would love to be good enough to free motion. Your design sounds great, only I can't do it.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-29-2019 at 02:51 PM.
plays10s is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 06:21 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 5,763
Default

LaDonna, if I understand you right, the pictured comforter is not the one you are making but the color of the one you plan to make? And you will be doing a computerized E2E? Can you upload a picture of the bright fabric you plan to use? That would help all of us think about what the E2E quilting design would work best.
quiltingshorttimer is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:50 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Do you have a photo of the actual fabric you are using. It is hard to suggest an E2E without seeing the fabric. Also are you talking about a hand guided E2E or computer driven?
Sorry if I did not make myself clear. The fabric you see is the upholstery fabric that I am going to be quilting as my comforter. It will be a computer driven (Handiquilter with Prostitcher) e2e. Hope this makes sense. The only reason I said anything about the bright abstract floral fabric is to give the viewer a better description of the room. I probably should not have said anything about it. Just looking for a design to go on top. Thanks
plays10s is offline  
Old 10-29-2019, 07:51 PM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Carrollton, GA
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
LaDonna, if I understand you right, the pictured comforter is not the one you are making but the color of the one you plan to make? And you will be doing a computerized E2E? Can you upload a picture of the bright fabric you plan to use? That would help all of us think about what the E2E quilting design would work best.
The fabric you see laying on the bed is the upholstery fabric that I plan to use to make my comforter. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm looking for a computerized e2e design to go on top. Thanks.
plays10s is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
sewstephanie
Pictures
14
10-24-2019 05:46 AM
sewstephanie
Pictures
25
08-01-2019 02:50 AM
sewstephanie
Main
6
02-12-2018 10:22 PM
MzMcKee
Main
3
08-10-2011 10:00 AM
QuiltnLynn
Pictures
23
09-23-2010 06:39 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.