Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pinning seams - always?

I do. I have tried not pinning and always regretted it.

I pin everything within a inch of its life.

Blog Entries
    I also pin all seams.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    I stopped pinning when I got the cute little clips. I use the clips when I am putting binding on, but rarely use them for any other piecing. I occasionally use the clips for a long seam like when putting on borders, but otherwise I just trust my own capabilities to do the seam without any aids.

Blog Entries
    I am a pinned and a starcher. I have always pinned but the starching is something I learned from Pam Buda and it really cut down on fraying.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I rarely pin except occasionally where blocks intersect. I sew slowly and keep matching as I go.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Blog Entries
    I only pin when matching seams or to keep seam allowances from flipping. Often I will use clips at the beginning and ending of strips edges about two inches away from the seam line.

Blog Entries
    I am in the group of pinners...especially when piecing blocks together . I don’t always pin in the construction of units for the blocks or when sewing strips, but as soon as there is an intersection or pressed seams to join...I usually pin.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I pin every intersection but I definitely pull pins out as I come to them. Don't want to get a broken needle so I don't sew over my pins.

I almost always pin.

As little as possible, seams longer than 12 inches, or if I have a stack of twosies to sew after removing them foem the design wall, i will pin on the side that gets down. I usually glue intersections.

I pin intersections and put a few pins in long seams like borders. I don't want a surprise at the end. I pin rows from the design wall to keep the blocks in order, but that's about it.

I pin because I have too often stretched one of the two pieces and that only causes problem. Several others also have mentioned their reasons for pinning and they many seem to be to prevent the same nasty error....stretching.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MeadowMist View Post
    Hi - do you pin All of your seams before stitching together or do you only pin longer seams together?

Is there a generalized cut-off - for instance if you are stitching 2 10" squares together, yes, pin them first, but if you are stitching 2 3"squares or less together it's okay to skip the pinning.
    I pin very little I glue like a crazy woman. Mr Elmer Glue and I have a long standing personal relationship. He has been the best helper ever, especially with binding the quilts. I also glue HST points, chain piecing and corners to make sure the pieces don't shift. Makes my life so much easier.

Here's a neat little video of how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sGpTZBBc4

Also Sharon Schamber has some great youtube
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    I am in the pinning group - I pin everything for all the reasons already mentioned. I am not a fast sewer and it does take me longer than most to sew stuff and I know I'm a bit persnikity in having everything line up with no stretching or shifting. If it does shift it gets ripped out. I will use either my walking foot or 1/4" foot and remove each pin before it goes under- yes I know there may be easier and faster ways but it works for me.
    Deb

I always pin.

Blog Entries
    I have a gallon jug of Elmer's Washable School Glue by my pressing table along with several small bottles to fill and go. I gave up pinning when I discovered the glue on a You-tube video by Sharon Shamber on how she uses it. It's the best tool in my studio. I use it for every seam I think will be a problem, holding bias edges in place, tricky intersections, long seams and binding. Love, love, love it.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I like the idea of using glue!! I've never done that.
    I always pin curves like crazy, but otherwise I pin sometimes, not always.

I think it is up to each person pin or not to pin. I am a big pinner but that is the way I learned how to put things together.

I detest pins. I always get pricked. I will use basting glue if the join is critical and Wonder clips for all other seams. i got rid of most all my straight pins except the flower head ones and the ones I use on my design wall.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I watched the video mentioned above somewhere but really don't want to spend over 10.00 for a cap for my glue!! Does anyone know where I can get one?

It depends on the project and purpose of end result. If I am sewing lots of long strips together for a stripy quilt I wouldn’t pin. If I am working on a detailed block, I may pin delicate pieces for points to be precise.

If it's star points or something like that, that are really going to show, I'll pin matching points everytime.
    But, I just did a quilt that had over 200 blocks and 4 matching points in each block, plus the blocks themselves and not one pin and I ended up tearing out just one block because it was too far off.
    It really depends on the quilt.

Watson

I for the most part pin as well. The only time I do not is when I am chain piecing. Short seams get pinned at the start and the end (and it they are misbehaving in the middle - there as well). Long pieces get pins at intersections and if the underneath piece has a seam that is pressed against the direction of sewing - it usually gets a pin( I am bad - I sew over my pins a lot of the time but I only use the Clover Extra Fine pins).

I sew on a Pfaff - so I always use the built in IDT (it is their builtin walking foot) and needle down option. If the seam that is pinned is really bulky, I stop just before the seam to make all the edges ar going the way I want them to go.sure

I have never gotten the hang of the glue as I often do not make up my mind on pressing until I have sewn the seam and think that if I want to press open then I have the glue to deal with but after watching the video tuckyquilter posted the link to, I might have to try it!!
    Last edited by eparys; 11-12-2019 at 06:44 AM. Reason: adding info
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I watched the video mentioned above somewhere but really don't want to spend over 10.00 for a cap for my glue!! Does anyone know where I can get one?
    I use Roxanne's Basting glue in the bottle with the long thin metal tip. It is refillable if you want to use another basting glue. I prefer Roxanne's for holding seams. Elmers school glue for other basting jobs.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast